• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 is dead (Don't do a fresh install!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Well, not really, but getting it running requires a second computer and lots of patience.

Let's tell the story.... I wanted to install it on one of my computers. So I did so. Worked fine. Installed an antivirus and anti-adware programs. OK.
Then I go to the internet to download updates.... DEATH TO WIN2K!

Yeah, the windows 2000 exploit is so bad out there that you can't go 30 seconds on the net without getting spyware, adware, trojans, and viruses. You don't even have to open IE. And the attacks crash your computer faster than it is possible to download the fix. Or any other updates for that matter.

The only solution is to use another computer, download the 200mb+ service pack 4 network implementation packet, and the exploit fix. Then you have to install them on a CLEAN installation of win2k BEFORE you connect to the net. After that, you can PROBABLY download the other updates and virus protections without getting infested. (took me 2 tries.)

Overall, it ain't pretty. Just a warning to those planning a fresh install of Win2K... prepare ahead, or you have no chance to survive. Make your time. All your win2k are belong to us.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me how many security holes there are in Windows.

It never ceases to amaze me how many security holes there are in Windows.
Oh, you cynical Linux users. :p Actually, if someone would help me with my dual displays in Linux, I'd play with it much more often. Every time I've tried it just breaks the install. It never ceases to amaze ME how hard it is to install a driver in Linux! :D

I haven't had that problem in Win2000 though...were you going to any other sites other than the Windows Update, or did you surf around a bit?

Last time I did an install on 2000 (unpatched) all it took was plugging in the Ethernet cable, nothing else.

johan851 said:
I haven't had that problem in Win2000 though...were you going to any other sites other than the Windows Update, or did you surf around a bit?

Let me point out that the infections and attacks started the second the computer was connected to the internet... When I plugged in the LAN cable. I was crashed and infected BEFORE I could open any browser or anything similar.

And yes, I know they were attacks. I ended up with three IE toolbars on the reboot after the crash, a redirector, and a desktop with no fewer than 6 new icons, three of them to online gambling sites. Also had 3 trojans, 2 viruses, and something unleashing popups even when not online!
This was with a legit copy of windows 2000, used several times before, installed on a freshly reformatted drive. All the other crap was there before I opened IE and found the toolbars.

Last edited:
do you have any NAT devices or something like a smoothwall. I reformatted this week and installed 2k and it went absolutly fine. But I have smoothwall running and I know it blocks all incoming connections if they are not requested. Maybe you should try a NAT device or burn a software firewall to a CD before you plug in your cat5 cable.

Man that sux.

I have installed windows 2k on the last two PCs I built for people and had NONE of those problems. This last one was over last weekend while the other was just a week before that.
I never had problems like that before now either.

Personaly I push 2k on whoever I can because XP is just way too heavy and slow.
XP looks pretty yay but I dont want nore need pretty.
I need dependable and snappy.

Sounds like some people have had bad experiences but its not a full blown everytime someone installs 2k they get a virus.
It might be as simple as sites that you have been too in the past have recorded your IP.
Then randomly (very often) spam out invasive programs to whoever they have IPs for.
I know this happens and if you didnt havea firewall up then ya it will happen.

I would suggest downloading a free version of something like zone alarm onto a CD before your next complete reinstall.

Sorry to hear of your hard time.

Wardog

I never knew it was that bad for Win2k....

I have reinstalled XP for a few friends before, but usually I download SP2 and install that offline first, then grab the rest of the updates.

Most of the Windows problems I have had to fix are user-created - "Do not blame on malice, that which can be explained by stupidity".

Its likley, if you are behind a router and you install win2k without any SP's or fixes then you won't have much problem with worms etc. Spyware yes, as soon as you start using IE. Then enable DMZ mode for your router, and boot win2k and watch all the worms viruses flood in. :D

Never had this problem before, and I reinstall 2K near monthly on every comp in my house (a lot easier than trying to clean my family members' garbage). I never even got the Blaster worm :p

The reason why it happened so quickly is because the virus is EVERYWHERE on the net and that's because people still can't/won't patch their machines. It was the same with Blaster... and it's the same now.

My advice to you is all in one word: slipstream...

PM Me for more info.

:rolleyes:

Don't plug machines in directly to the internet without a firewall, at LEAST a software one. That's your problem...in today's world that's the dumbest thing you can do.

It never ceases to amaze ME how hard it is to install a driver in Linux!

I find it easier to install drivers in linux. You're just used to windows and expect it to work in a similar method. It's not a fair comparison when you know one OS so much better than the other.

Anyways, as much as I dislike Windows, I haven't seen virus/spyware problems on the level of this thread. Sure, spyware happens a lot, but not this fast and not without doing anything. I suppose it's because I always ran it from behind a firewall. I also like 2K a lot more than XP. I like the look of 2K better too, XP is too Fisher-Price for my taste. 2K is a good deal faster too, especially with limited resources.

There was actually a study done that I read that said that the time to infect a Windows machine on average (I don't remember which version) was less than the time needed to download the patches to prevent it, which would be consistent with what this poster claims. I guess the lesson is to always use a firewall, which is a good practice regardless of OS if you don't need the ability to access the machine from the net.

If I have a windows 2000 pro w/ SP4 install disk, will I get all the worms and trojans, or is it already kind of patched?

I used to use 2k exclusivly and have never, NEVER, NEVER had a problem with viruses or spyware - patched or unpatched. Just don't go anywhere you aren't supposed to. I use xp now, unpatched. I use no anti-virus, no antispyware. I don't go places where it's required as a safeguard.

What it sounds like is you have "someone" specifically attacking your IP. Call your isp and see what kind of activity is happening on your line.

edit: again, if you go places you shouldn't anyway, you won't have any problems

Back