• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Barton @ 2.4ghz w/9800@430/320 To go S939 or just bump up the Gcard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicspits

Hola guys, got an overall system performance question for ya and what I should do. I'm getting rid of my peltier cooling because I can't carry it to a future 939 system(eventually) but am thinking, my #1 CPU stressing task is gaming, #2 is burning DVDs(the conversion), beyond that its office type crap. So naturally my OCing adventures have been fun, hobbyist, and gamer based but now that grad school is slowly approaching, tired of paying such a high powerbill, and an NF7-S only lasts about a year @1.85 volts and a 15C to -1C socket temp before something goes ape ****, I'm backing off to just overkilled watercooling (only 150 watts of heat to remove, HA!).

So the question is this, with my mobiel barton running at around 2.4-2.45ghz depending on New England weather, sheesh, and my 9800np @ 430/320 stable. Should I save up and go S939 (3000 venice, NF4 based board probably AN8, and something like a 6800nu\x800somethin) or simply get like a 6800 ultra\gt or x850somethin when they come down to under $300 (refuse to spend more, iffy if close). Issues: I'm not sure how much space I'll have for my computer, won't know till spring, so that's when I'd be going S939 if I did (keep WCing or move to air depending), I'm gaming less and less but when I do, I want a better and better gaming experience (AA, AF, High detail). Longevity issues only really come upwhen looking at new standards and gaming.

So what do you think, does a venice's power (at least 2.2ghz) over a 2.4ghz barton affect gaming soo much to warrant overhauling, or would an AGP version of a kick ace card do me till June of 2008 (grad. from grad=whole new ball of wax thanks to $4X,XXX job).

Thanks guys, i'm normally good at this sort of thing, but i guess i just don't know.

You should think about if you want to head for PCI-E when you DO upgrade your socket system. If you are not worried about PCI-E, get a new AGP card like a 6600GT if your strapped for cash, or one of the 6800 series if thats not a problem.

If you are set on going PCI-E...save up and upgrade both socket and graphics card at the same time.

Right as of now, your CPU set with a 6800series card will handle any game out. So if i was in your position i would just save the money and when something you need does come out, then upgrade everything with the latest out.

Goodluck

hmmm...I'd say it might be time to jump to a S939 with a PCI-E video card. If you don't have the cash I' save up. With the 939 you'll have the option of going X2 if you find out you need more CPU power (and in 6 months used 3800+'s will be pretty cheap).

I was thinkin about doing what ur planning to do but decided not to.

when i get my summer job im just gonna save my moeny and buy a new PCI-E rig. I think its better that way and i will be able to have another rig to fall back on if it goes down.

thanks a million guys, I think i'll save up and wait for cheaper S939 rigs and keep my current as a backup after I do that (S939 in a standard box with tight\loud air cooling for my main use and store my current SocketA everything for secondary use, and hey, if i get an apartment with electricity included, muwahahahha!) Great comments, thanks a million. IF something does come out that I'm itching to play way turned up as well, I think I will go for a 6800 or so AGP version and just suspend my 939 for however that takes to recoup. Thanks again dudes!

Back