• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system, old hard drives, can get it going...please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gid

Registered
SUCCESS!

System has started up and watercooling system is functioning!

FAILURE!

HELP!

PLEASE!

I moved over my slave and master hard drive and my old cd-rom drive (new one I wanted to wait to install).

I went into set up to make sure everything was ok and it all looks good: Master and Slave hard drives are detected and correct, all the RAM is detected and everything looks good. When it goes to boot I get the following error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom

Select 'r' at the first setup screen to start repair"

So I load the setup cd-rom and boot from disk and get the blue

Windows Setup
===========

screen and down below it appears to be working and down at the bottom is says"

"Setup is loading files"

and flashes through all the files it's loading.

(BTW at no point am I given the option to select 'r' and pressing the r button at any point or throught the process does nothing)

Then it says "Setup is starting windows"

The screen goes black and I get a blue "stop" screen:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space.* If a driver is identified in the stop message....**

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.*** If you need to use safe mode to...****

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X8070E9A77, 0XF78D9E20, 0XF78D9E20)

(no idea what this is)

*I do. Master is 70gigs with plenty of space and Slave is 40 gigs. I've tried to have both as slave or master to no avail.
** One is not so I skip this.
*** Can't find these anywhere in BIOS.
**** How to disable hardware in sm. I can't think of any hardware I'd need to disable....

ANY help is appreciated.

Rig:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
XFX GeForce 7800 GT
Maxtor Diamond 70 gig HD (Master)
Fujitsu 40 gig HD (slave)
2 gig Corsair Ram
Cooler Master Aquagate Liquid Cooling system
Seasonic S12 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cavalier 1 case

I had the hard drives with windows installed and the CD-Rom drive on my old rig. Everything else is new.

Thanks again!

Generally when you switch out your parts, especially your motherboard, it's wise to do a fresh install of windows. Certain things are optimized for different motherboards and it's quite possible the problem has arose from this conflict. Try a fresh install of Windows and see if that fixes things.

boot to recovery console from CD.

rename the file "system" from C:\windows\system32\config to something else
copy the file "System" from C:\windows\repair to C:\windows\system32\config.

reboot.

see if that works.

How do I get the ability to do these things?

Right now all I can access is BIOS setup. Windows stops before I can enter any kind of area to do this unless there is a trick I don't know....

boot off the windows CD, (cdrom has to be first boot device in BIOS). you most likely have to reinstall windows...i have never successfully gotten the recovery console to get my system up 100%. just do a fresh install...make sure you have everything backed up off the drive you're installing on tho.

ooh the wonders of windows...

gl..hf

yep, that's what I'm trying to do when I get the blue "stop" screen....

Back