• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer getting flacky

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slowmike

my computer in sig(#1) has started to get flacky. not long ago, my comp would not turn the monitor back on after it goes into standby mode. to fix the problem all you had to do is restart the comp and all would be fine. now, it wont post or starts to but freezes after displaying the videocard info. i have taken out one of the memory cards and i got it to run for 6 straight hours before i shut it off so i can run memtest86 on it. and now it wont do anything again, no posting. i tried clearing cmos,removing video card and reinserting, swapping memory cards. the only thing the computer does is turn on the fans, the hard drive led and the 2 cd drive leds flash every once in a while.

well after trying atleast 20 more times to get it started, it wont, no posting, just fans turning on and hdd/cd drives leds flickering. i think that the board is dead, any of you guys concur?

It is very possible that your PSU died. See if you can get another one to test with.

It is also possible that it's your mother board. Look at the caps to see if any are buldging and/or leaking. The tops of all you caps should be perfectly flat. If they are not, then your MB is done.

the only beep codes i get using the current powersupply(sparkle 350w) is the long steady beep when i took out the vc/nic/memory. when i put in the vc/memory, it didnt beep. i swapped out the powersupply with a 300w sparkle and with the vc/memory in, i got music, like from a nintendo system, different freq and length. still no posting.
the motherboard does have 4 caps that are bulging with one having alittle red lint on top.
can anyone tell me of a motherboard that can accept a AMD XP1800, DDR266, AGP 4x, and atleast 3 pci ports?
this motherboard also has to have the four holes near the socket to accept a waterblock.
what causes the caps to bulge or leak?

Sorry to hear about your caps. It was an industry wide problem. There is a whole story that includes industrial espionage but I don't know about that. What I can say is that just about all manufactures of that time used these cheap caps that busted over time. You could have them replaced if you, or some one that you know, can solder well. I can't. There are lots of boards out there that will meet your needs. I'd look to eBay or some other such place for a used one. Maybe even our own classifieds here at oc.com.

Back