• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade, or Wait To Build New?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grandgnu

My system used to be top of the line, but it's been performing "eh" lately in some of the newer titles (BF2, large-scale battles of over 6K troops in Rome Total War, etc)

MOTHERBOARD MSI 875P Neo2-FISR Motherboard
RAM 1GB (2x512MB) Kingston HyperX PC4000 500mhz DDR
CPU: P4 2.6C overclocked to 3.1Ghz on air
HARD DRIVE 1 Seagate 7200rpm 120GB 8mb Cache IDE
HARD DRIVE 2 Seagate 7200rpm 200GB 8mb Cache IDE
AUDIO Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
PSU PowerRight Modular 500W +3.3(30A) +5(50A) +12(25A)
HEATSINK Swiftech MCX478-V w/80mm Red LED fan & Artic Silver 5
GRAPHICS ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB All-In-Wonder

Anyway, I was drooling over getting myself the following:

DFI LanParty SLI motherboard
AMD 3800+, 4000+ or FX-55
2GB Ram
PC Power & Cooling SLI 510W PSU
Raided Western Digital Raptors 74GB each
New 256MB 16-pipe graphics card (Nvidia likely)

But, that's hella expensive!

I was considering that I might just upgrade the following:

CPU: Get a 3.0 or 3.2C and overlcock it
GRAPHICS: 6800GT or Ultra with 256MB

I figure the upgrade will be much more affordable. I understand that ATI is going to be releasing a number of new graphics cards in another month, including some with 512MB of onboard memory. I figure that will cause a huge drop in price on the existing nice models of graphics cards.

I had considered getting a 6600GT, but I really want 256MB for a bit of future-proofness, and the 6800GT and Ultra models should continue to drop in price with the introduction of the 7800 models and the new ATI offerings as well.

I can overclock my 2.6Ghz higher than where it's at right now, but have been unable to keep it stable. The temps haven't been an issue, just that the system would lock up over the 240FSB settings, regardless of whether I gave the cpu more volts (I won't go past 1.6V). It wouldn't lock up immediately, or all the time, just kinda randomly when in Windows, usually while playing a game.

With all the new stuff coming out, PCI-E, plus the dual-core processors, I'm thinking I might be better off getting a 3.0 or 3.2 CPU for my current system, waiting the month for a new graphics card and see how long I can make that system last.

I really had my heart set on building a completely new AMD rig, but the components I'm looking at would likely run me $1500-$2000, while an upgrade would be about 1/4 of that cost.

How much performance am I missing out on though, compared with the newly built system? I don't expect the newer system to provide a 100% increase in performance, right?

Also, I'm a little hesitant of the Western Digital drives, their reliability has been spotty in my experience, although I haven't used their Raptors, but read some bad reports. I LOVE my Seagates, perhaps if I raid two of their SATA drives I'll be getting a nice performance boost?

So, should I hold onto my cash and wait until I can build a completely new system, or would the upgrades I'm considering cover me another year and a half while game makers start to transition over to the dual-core and other technological offerings?

I would go with just upgrading the CPU and video card. The rest of your components are still pretty good, so I don't see the point of upgrading. If you're so bent on the AMD system, wait until the Socket M2 interface comes out next year.

It's either upgrade now or wait a while: http://www.overclockers.com/tips00830/

Well, if you plan on upgrading now and get a whole new AMD system, it'll probably have a big noticeable performance increase. Especially if you get a 7800GT or 6800GT as compared to you 9700pro. If you get the X2, you might have a pretty big increase in your performance for everything, including many different applications.

But, if you save money and just upgrade a few things on your current system, then your system will probably last you a while. I'd probably just get a new CPU with the same skt as your motherboard, and get a 6800GT. Don't get the Ultras, they both have the same amount of pipelines and 6800GTs can almost easily get to Ultra speeds, while Ultras can't OC much higher. Also, maybe get 2GB of ram if you want your upgrade to last even longer.

So I recommend getting the following:
eVGA 6800GT
Forton AX500-A
2x1GB OCZ Platinum
P4 3.0

You'll need a new PSU to hold up your 6800GT most likely, I haven't heard of the one your using, but a whole new PSU might help you OC even better.

Also, 2GB of ram would greatly benefit BF2, and also help you run many applications faster and 2GB would be more useful for future uses.

Don't bother upgrading and getting another P4 CPU. I'm getting ready to upgrade from this system:

P4 3.0C
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Fortron 400W PSU
OCZ PC3700 Gold Rev.2
WD 80GB SE 7200RPM w/8mb cache
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105
Sony DVD-ROM

The only thing I'm waiting on is benchmarks on the new ATI cards. AMD is the way to go right now without a doubt.

Why would I need a new PSU for a 6800GT? I have a 500W one now. got it from www.frozencpu.com Are the numbers on my rails no good?

Also, for the guy who said to not bother upgrading. I see you've already got the 3.0 cpu. Do you overclock at all? I figure I'd see some improvement with another 400mhz to work with going from the 2.6 to the 3.0, but perhaps it's not that much? I figure I could get that overclocked to 3.6 or maybe 3.8 from what I've read.

Also, for the person recommending I go to 2GB? I've heard that most games don't take advantage of that, and that your system may be slower if you're using all four slots (so I'd have to purchase the 1GB modules, which are expensive)

If I upgrade, I figure a cpu and video card upgrade would be affordable. But if I'm going to upgrade anything more than that, I might as well just save up for a new system I think?

I wasn't looking to purchase the x2 dual-processor models of AMD, since I figure it'll be awhile before any applications/games start really taking advantage of those.

grandgnu said:
Why would I need a new PSU for a 6800GT? I have a 500W one now. got it from www.frozencpu.com Are the numbers on my rails no good?

Also, for the guy who said to not bother upgrading. I see you've already got the 3.0 cpu. Do you overclock at all? I figure I'd see some improvement with another 400mhz to work with going from the 2.6 to the 3.0, but perhaps it's not that much? I figure I could get that overclocked to 3.6 or maybe 3.8 from what I've read.

Also, for the person recommending I go to 2GB? I've heard that most games don't take advantage of that, and that your system may be slower if you're using all four slots (so I'd have to purchase the 1GB modules, which are expensive)

If I upgrade, I figure a cpu and video card upgrade would be affordable. But if I'm going to upgrade anything more than that, I might as well just save up for a new system I think?

I wasn't looking to purchase the x2 dual-processor models of AMD, since I figure it'll be awhile before any applications/games start really taking advantage of those.

I had it overclocked to 3.5 ghz. I'm primarily a gamer so I'm tired of being jealous of people with 3000+ venices raping my benchmarks with the same vid card. P4's just suck for gaming compared to AMD so that's why I'm building a whole new rig.

Wow, there's THAT much of a difference, even after you've overclocked it? Daaaaaammmnnn! Guess I've got some saving to do. Thanks for the heads-up.

muscl3s said:
I'm primarily a gamer so I'm tired of being jealous of people with 3000+ venices raping my benchmarks with the same vid card. P4's just suck for gaming compared to AMD so that's why I'm building a whole new rig.

I most assuridly feel your pain!
So much so, that I could have written the above!

grandgnu said:
My system used to be top of the line, but it's been performing "eh" lately in some of the newer titles (BF2, large-scale battles of over 6K troops in Rome Total War, etc)

You are DANG near in the same boat I am!
I just don't know which way to go............. :bang head

Money may not buy happiness..............but it would sure make the decision-making process a heck of a lot easier! :cool:

I know, that's why I had considered just upgrading, since there's so much new stuff on the horizon or being released now, I didn't want to go and get a new system and then miss something.

I'm just tired of the choppy battles in Rome Total War when I get about 5-6K troops. Of course, I like having all the details cranked up, I won't settle for "middle" graphics settings. I'm too spoiled I guess, my 9700 Pro lasted SO long, held up so well against the advancement of technology.

thegreek said:
can you wait just a few more months until 2006 comes around, they will be a whole bunch of new stuff comming out
Please tell me what the "bunch of new stuff" is that is coming out we should be so excited about. Faster CPU's aren't coming out for like years. The nextgen graphics cards are out already by Nvidia and ATI's will be out in October. M2 is coming out sometime in 2006. Since CPU's aren't getting any faster anytime soon what does M2 have to offer other than making everyone buy DDR2 memory. Are you really expecting a big jump in performance? I don't think so. Maybe I'm missing something and if I am please point it out.

if you REALLY want to get it going faster, get a new heatsink and some AS5, new videocard(x800gt or x800pro) and then flash it and overclock it. look at my system.

-1cem4n

I already have Arctic Silver 5, although I've never done any changes to a graphics cards heatsink before.

I think I'll just be patient and wait until I can purchase a new system. Gotta get me AMD baby!

if i was you, i'd wait untill i could upgrade the motherboard to PCI-e, cpu and videocard also. And ram if you have the extra money :p your system looks pretty solid except the videocard.

if you were always waiting to upgrade because something better is coming out, you would never upgrade because they are always making something better

Yes well at some point however you would. Its just like (okay similar to) putting someone in between two burgers and they cant make up their mind on which one to eat and would die before they decided. Would you do that? I hope not. Personally, i would eat both.

vcstrike said:
if you were always waiting to upgrade because something better is coming out, you would never upgrade because they are always making something better

True, but it would be foolish for me to upgrade if the performance isn't going to be enough to keep from upgrading within another 1-2 years time.

And it would be foolish to rush out and get a 6600GT with 128MB of RAM when the introduction of the new ATI cards in another months time will result in the current crop of video cards dropping in price. A 6800GT with 256MB performs quite a bit better than the 6600GT.

Plus, I'd be looking to get an SLI rig so that I would have a bit more room for building a system that should last a bit before having to replace it again. I know I can't just keep waiting for the next best thing. I don't think I'll be jumping on the dual-core processors yet, guess I'll have to wait and see how things progress while I save.

Back