• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New System... critique/recommendations welcome!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masitti

I have been SOOOOOOOOOOO out of the loop it's not even funny. Anyways I ran across some spare cash and decided a new system build is in order. :santa:

Here's what I am looking at:

Case: Lian-Li Pc-65
PSU: Generic 500w
Mobo: Abit AL8-V
CPU: Pentium 4 Prescott 630 800mhz/fsb
RAM: Mushkin 512MB PC-4200
Video: Abit xxx (recommendations please! Around or under $100... light gaming)
HD: WD Raptor 36GB

Water: DangerDen TDX Block, BIX 80mm Radiator, Eheim 1048 Pump, cool lil reservoir thing. ;)

Without the video card and water, that totals to $600 plus some shipping. How am I spending my money for what I am getting?

Yeah get a fortron 500w, that's be a fine powersupply for your system. Also, I'd get 1gb of ram minimum, it's just handy to have around to keep your system zippy and smooth.

Ok thanks guys I'll check it out.

Also... why is DDR2 memory so cheap? I rememeber even for cheap stuff for regular DDR you'd pay a lot.

Any generic p/s should have / replaced with o. I have a supposedly 400 watt "generic", and it can't manage to power even 200 watts of hardware. You go with a 500, you may get one that can actually handle 230 or so.

I definitely wouldn't gimp on RAM, the difference between 512 and 1 gig is very noticeable.

Also will 36 gb be enough, or are you going to have a backup hard drive? Most games today take up 3 gigs+ apiece.

Back