• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some help please? P5WD2-P with 830

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Supafish

Registered
Hi Guys -

Need a little help with my new rig any help will be appreciated, thanx in advance :cool:

Here's the specs:

Intel PD 830
Asus P5WD2 Premium (BIOS 0512)
OCZ PC2-4200 DDR2-533 (2x1 gig)
2 x Raptor RAID0
WD SATA2 250 Gig
ATI X850XTPE
SB Audigy 2
OCZ Powerstream 600
2 x DVD-R/W

Cooling:
Storm CPU Block
120.1 Black Ice Extreme
MCP-350
Microcool NB HSF

Anyway, I currently have this rig clocked at 275 FSB with a 14x multi. Vcore is set to 1.5v in BIOS but shows up as 1.46v idle in windows and drops to about 1.38v during two instances of prime. Temps are around 26C/80F ambient and it idles at 40C, 54C load. Are these temps okay???

What I would like to know is 300+ FSB possible with my config? I'm an idiot when it comes to BIOS settings and have no idea what voltages to lock in.

Where do I need to be to get 300+ FSB? Here's the settings I have in BIOS now...

DRAM = 1:1
Performance Mode = Auto
PCIX = Auto
PCI = 33.3

Dimm Volts = 2.00v
Vcore = 1.525v
FSB Term = Auto (no clue what this should be)
ICH = Auto = (huh?)

Lock Free = Enabled
Speedstep = Minimum
Microcode Upd= Enabled
Max CPUID = Disabled
Exe Disable Funct = Disabled
C1 = Disabled
Thermal Control = Disabled

BTW, added the missing cap and still experiencing shutdown on reboot.

Oh forgot to mention...my goal is to hit 330 FSB for 24/7 use.

Lou.

Last edited:
Supafish said:
Hi Guys -

Need a little help with my new rig any help will be appreciated, thanx in advance :cool:

Here's the specs:

Intel PD 830
Asus P5WD2 Premium (BIOS 0512)
OCZ PC2-4200 DDR2-533 (2x1 gig)
2 x Raptor RAID0
WD SATA2 250 Gig
ATI X850XTPE
SB Audigy 2
OCZ Powerstream 600
2 x DVD-R/W

Cooling:
Storm CPU Block
120.1 Black Ice Extreme
MCP-350
Microcool NB HSF

Anyway, I currently have this rig clocked at 275 FSB with a 14x multi. Vcore is set to 1.5v in BIOS but shows up as 1.46v idle in windows and drops to about 1.38v during two instances of prime. Temps are around 26C/80F ambient and it idles at 40C, 54C load. Are these temps okay???

What I would like to know is 300+ FSB possible with my config? I'm an idiot when it comes to BIOS settings and have no idea what voltages to lock in.

Where do I need to be to get 300+ FSB? Here's the settings I have in BIOS now...

DRAM = 1:1
Performance Mode = Auto
PCIX = Auto
PCI = 33.3

Dimm Volts = 2.00v
Vcore = 1.525v
FSB Term = Auto (no clue what this should be)
ICH = Auto = (huh?)

Lock Free = Enabled
Speedstep = Minimum
Microcode Upd= Enabled
Max CPUID = Disabled
Exe Disable Funct = Disabled
C1 = Disabled
Thermal Control = Disabled

BTW, added the missing cap and still experiencing shutdown on reboot.

Oh forgot to mention...my goal is to hit 330 FSB for 24/7 use.

Lou.
Temps look ok.
For starters set the PCIX frequency to 100mhz. As far as vcore goes, no one can tell you a voltage to run that will work, when you start to experience instability with the CPU, raise the vcore. I'm not sure if 330 FSB is reasonable goal, matter of fact I haven't seen anyone with a FSB that high.

d94 said:
what kind of cooling have you got there?

A Swiftech storm block, MCP-350 (AKA DDC) pump, and a single black ice extreme radiator with a panaflo. Temps are good around 56-57c during prime x 2, pcmark04, and stresscpu running all together.

Oh, got a Zalman GPu cooler and a Microcool for the NB.

Lou.

RangerXLT8 said:
Temps look ok.
For starters set the PCIX frequency to 100mhz. As far as vcore goes, no one can tell you a voltage to run that will work, when you start to experience instability with the CPU, raise the vcore. I'm not sure if 330 FSB is reasonable goal, matter of fact I haven't seen anyone with a FSB that high.

I think you may be right. Tried 300 FSB with 1.53Xv and it did boot into windows but during prime it rebooted and a "Intel uCode" error came up during POST. Had to back down to 290 FSB and so far its prime stable for 1 hour. Could it be the other voltage settings like FSB, MCH, or ICH that's holding me back?

BTW, how accurate are the temps on this board? My block and rad are cool to the touch, hard to believe the temps are so high.

Thanx for the input :)

Lou.

Supafish said:
I think you may be right. Tried 300 FSB with 1.53Xv and it did boot into windows but during prime it rebooted and a "Intel uCode" error came up during POST. Had to back down to 290 FSB and so far its prime stable for 1 hour. Could it be the other voltage settings like FSB, MCH, or ICH that's holding me back?

BTW, how accurate are the temps on this board? My block and rad are cool to the touch, hard to believe the temps are so high.

Thanx for the input :)

Lou.

Running FSB like 290+ is going to take some voltage. Set your MCH voltage to 1.65 and FSB Termination to atleast 1.4, if not higher. ICH is the southbridge so that's not gonna hold ya back.

As far as temp monitors on the board, they are accurate within a couple degrees each way. As long as the CPU is stable I wouldn't worry.

RangerXLT8 said:
Running FSB like 290+ is going to take some voltage. Set your MCH voltage to 1.65 and FSB Termination to atleast 1.4, if not higher. ICH is the southbridge so that's not gonna hold ya back.

As far as temp monitors on the board, they are accurate within a couple degrees each way. As long as the CPU is stable I wouldn't worry.

Gotcha...

Upped the MCH to 1.65v and FSB at 1.5v. Trying to bench at 300 FSB with 1.5625v but it reboots during pcmark04. How much more power do you think it needs??? What's the highest voltage I can feed this baby without doing serious damage?

Lou.

Supafish said:
Gotcha...

Upped the MCH to 1.65v and FSB at 1.5v. Trying to bench at 300 FSB with 1.5625v but it reboots during pcmark04. How much more power do you think it needs??? What's the highest voltage I can feed this baby without doing serious damage?

Lou.

1.525v is more then I'm comfortable with because it generates alot of heat and I'm under water.. On air I wouldn't go above 1.5v period. Water some do 1.6v.

Granted I've run my CPU at around 1.56v for a couple months, I decided to take the small performance loss because the amount of voltage needed was not worth the performance gain. Now I'm running @ 4ghz on stock vcore.

I'm starting to suspect other components are holding me back. I can run dual StressCPU for about 15 mins with no error before it reboots. Temps hang around 59-60c with a 80F ambient. Do you thinks its my memory?? I have the vDIMM locked at 2.0v 1:1.

Lou.

From what I've heard, DDR-2 is tough memory to overvolt. I cranked mine as high as 2.1v and after 2.00v it didn't seem to be mattering (I did increase some the other voltages as well just to eliminate them). Best bet is to find some good value ram that's already clocked at higher speeds. May not get the lower timings you want, but you will get the raw bus speed you're looking for.

Okay, here's where I'm at so far...

Somewhat Stable @ 290 FSB, 14x multi @ 1.525v. Mem @ 1:1 with 2.2v Temps <59c

BSOD and Reboot @ 280 FSB, 15x multi @ 1.575v. Mem @ 1:1 with 2.2v Temps <60c

I just can't figure out what holding me back. Is this all it can do? I can run two instances of stresscpu for two hour without error but when I try pcmark04 it craps out on the first two test. Tried flashing to bios 0204 from 0512 and temps dropped 4 degrees but still get the BSOD and reboot on pcmark. Any suggestions guys??? Have I hit the wall?

Lou.

I just noticed that bios reads a different vcore then the what I locked in. When I select 1.575v its shows up 1.43v in both bios and probe. Any1 know if this is normal??? Could this be what's causing my reboots????

Lou.

PCIX = Auto
Try setting this at 100

Somewhat Stable @ 290 FSB, 14x multi @ 1.525v. Mem @ 1:1 with 2.2v Temps <59c
You are right, there is some setting that is not quite right. I'm 24/7 @ 295x14 @ 1.5v.
Upped the MCH to 1.65v
Put this back to 1.5. and set the others around it - FSB Termination & ICH - to auto.

Are your temps really 60c with 2xP95? with 1.575 vCore?

BigStan said:
Try setting this at 100

You are right, there is some setting that is not quite right. I'm 24/7 @ 295x14 @ 1.5v.

Put this back to 1.5. and set the others around it - FSB Termination & ICH - to auto.

Are your temps really 60c with 2xP95? with 1.575 vCore?

Thanks Bigstan :)

Temps are 60c or less during prime with 1.575v at 80-82F ambient.
Got bios 0204 back on because I couldn't stand the shutoff during reboot. Guess I'm kinda afraid of damaging my hard drives. Anyway, the problem I'm having is the BSOD and reboot 30 mins into prime (no errors) or pcmark04. Stresscpu can run for a few hours w/o issues so I really don't know what going on :bang head

BTW, when you set the vcore in bios, does it match up in CPUz or probe? I suspect the problems lie either in bios settings, power supply, or memory? What do you think?

Lou.

Guys -

I'm getting a different vcore value then the one set in bios. Is this normal??? Currently I have 1.5v locked in bios but cpuz, probe, and even the bios monitor is showing approx 1.4v.

I have my Vcore set at 1.5 in the BIOS and Asus Probe is reporting 1.47v. A little variance is normal. If you think you are having PSU problems, try taking a measurment right on a molex with a DMM.

There have been a few ppl that didn't get along well with the OCZ 600 because of the 2 12v rails. Some have gone back to a single 12v rail with lots of amp. But even if you do need more 12v power, I doubt it will get you a real high OC. You are hovering right around what I would think is near the max for an 830 proc. You might get it up to 280x15 or near 295x14, but I don't think it will go much higher. You have 2 cores in there running at that speed. That is a lot of strain on everything. The ppl that are getting real high clocks are using single core procs.

BigStan said:
I have my Vcore set at 1.5 in the BIOS and Asus Probe is reporting 1.47v. A little variance is normal. If you think you are having PSU problems, try taking a measurment right on a molex with a DMM.

There have been a few ppl that didn't get along well with the OCZ 600 because of the 2 12v rails. Some have gone back to a single 12v rail with lots of amp. But even if you do need more 12v power, I doubt it will get you a real high OC. You are hovering right around what I would think is near the max for an 830 proc. You might get it up to 280x15 or near 295x14, but I don't think it will go much higher. You have 2 cores in there running at that speed. That is a lot of strain on everything. The ppl that are getting real high clocks are using single core procs.

Gotcha!

I flashed to 0509 you provided and reworked some of the settings in bios. Currently running two instances of prime at 290 FSB 14x multi @ 1.4875v. to see how it does. Its been going at it for about a half hour and so far so good :cool: Temps are around 54-55c full load with an ambient of 83F. Its a good thing I didn't add the GPU block to the loop as originally planned. This thing get hot.

BTW, how do like running 295/14x opposed to 280/15x?

Lou.

BigStan said:
This ss excellent. 295 will prolly take around 1.5v. And 300 will prolly take 1.575v.

I like it because my mem responds better to high bandwidth then it does to tight timings.

I'm pretty sure its stable @ 290,14x :attn:

Trying 295,14x @ 1.5v now :cool: Dual prime stable for 25 mins now, hope it last. BTW, tried 295 on 1.48v but it rebooted after 15 mins.

Do you think 300 is possible or should a quit @ 295? Temps are pretty much staying the same even with the added vcore.

Lou.

Back