• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the dif?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FAT32 is generally faster for drives up to 80gb, for larger drives, ntfs is faster.

NTFS allows you to store larger files (4 GB cap on FAT32, very large cap on NTFS).

FAT32 is more compatible with other OS's. Mac, Linux, BSD, etc. can all read and write it. Only windows can reliably write ntfs afaik.

Neither is better for all things.

nikhsub1 said:

Ok, this is an excerpt from that article:

There are times when it is preferable to format your drive using FAT32. Since a drive formatted in NTFS is not accessible from DOS ,Windows 9x/ME or Mac OS , (which are compatible or use FAT32, ) you would need to format the drive in FAT32 in order to gain access to the drive ( it from Windows 9x/ME. ) This is often the case when dual-booting Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or sharing an external drive between a Windows system or Mac .

Does this mean that when I set up a dual boot 2 HDD system w\98 and XP, that I have to format *both* drives FAT 32?

i.e. I *cannot* format the 98 drive w/FAT 32 and the XP drive w/NTFS? I'm not really concerned about security, just performance. Both drives are WD800jb's (80 gig).

I think you could format the win98 drive Fat32 and the winXP drive NTFS, but when you boot into win98 you will not be able to access the NTFS drive. You should be able to access the Fat32 drive when you boot into winXP.

ju5tin99 said:
I think you could format the win98 drive Fat32 and the winXP drive NTFS, but when you boot into win98 you will not be able to access the NTFS drive. You should be able to access the Fat32 drive when you boot into winXP.

Ah...ok. That's helpful. I'll have to think about that one as I know it's *much* easier to do the 98 OS install and then set up the XP dual boot vs. the other way around.

Back