• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help cant power on :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pitbull2k

Registered
Allright so today i recieved my dual motherboard for my xeons.
I ordered a refurbished Tyan 860 motherboard, installed my memory, all neccessary stuff and i relized it needs an 8pin + 24 pin connector, so i removed my OCZ powerstream 520 from my putter and stuck an 500w ultra one in there for time being. i did not get a case for this setup yet so i laid it out on teh motherboax underneath the anti static bag. I connected teh PSU and all and was looking for a scsi cable after 2 minutes i felt a burning stench i panicked smelling the board and all. Then i realized that it was my pus generating the stench. The PSU was not powered, so redid all wiringa dn tried shorting teh pins on the mobo to have it boot (no case switch as there is no case yet) ... nothing. I tried to power up the psu with nothing on it it worked fine by shorting ground + green pin.
So now my question... what is wrong? i steh ocz 520 incompatible with the dual xeon power requirement? please help me out with any thoughts and/or suggestions.

The PSU shuld be compatable and more then powerfull enough . HOWEVER never use an Anti Static bag for a place to set a main board you are powering up because there conductive . . . .

well... Its not the silver anti static bag, its the clear one with some black stripes, non conductive for sure... :( Bah that is what i get for buying refurbished motherboards.
Now i have to send the crap back. Was waiting allw eek to build this rig and now i'm dissapointed.

try a different psu. Go to the bare minimums. (vid card, one stick of ram, no drives) Since it is not in a case, try using a jumper to short the power switch connector on the board. If that doesn't work, try momemtarily shorting the power switch connector on the board. Tyan's can be finicky.

Pitbull2k said:
well... Its not the silver anti static bag, its the clear one with some black stripes, non conductive for sure... :( Bah that is what i get for buying refurbished motherboards.
Now i have to send the crap back. Was waiting allw eek to build this rig and now i'm dissapointed.

An anti static bag is conductive, no such thing as a non-conductive anti static bag . .Set the board on a wood table top ..

Back