• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E Delux,In BIOS, what does performance acceleration mode do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duster

Hi,
I was just looking in BIOS of my P4c800-E deluxe, and under chipset, theres a item called Performance Acceleration mode, I'd just like to know how this works, and is it overclocking? :)

Also under Advanced, theres another item called Performance mode, again,how does this work, and is it O/Cing?

At the moment, both these options are set to "Auto"
Should I be using them?

Ive checked the manual, but its not very clear.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I've been doing some testing,-

In BIOS,
Under Chipset ,- Performance Acceleration Mode. I've now set this to Enabled.
This gives me a very small boast to performance, and my system is stable.
I get an extra 50-100 3D marks in benchmark 2001SE.

Under Advanced, JumperFree,Performance mode,
I tried setting this to Turbo mode, but it made my system unstable, when playing games.
It gave me a small boast to performance, 300-400 extra 3D marks in 2001SE, But my system is unstable in turbo mode, I have now returned to AUTO mode.

Anything else I could try.

Thanks

All that i can say is that my mem can handle both settings at the max with out nags , even Oced.
Look my sig..

good links karl.

there's something about 2-2-2-5 timings and PAT i remember from back in the day... the basic idea was - if you can't do 2-2-2-5, don't bother with it. not sure about asus boards but on abit ones we'd just disable some of the acceleration to get higher fsb.

mcoleg said:
good links karl.

there's something about 2-2-2-5 timings and PAT i remember from back in the day... the basic idea was - if you can't do 2-2-2-5, don't bother with it.

Hi,
Thanks for reply.

Yes this may be why Performance mode doesnt work for me, as i'm just running my RAM at auto settings, I dont really know much about O/Cing RAM.
In Sandra, my RAM is running at - Speed= pc 4000v 2.5-4-4-10.
Does that sound about right?

When I set Performance mode to enable, Windows would load, and I could run benchmark programs. But as soon as I tried to run games, The game would lock, taking Windows with it. :(

Thanks

Last edited:
Its pretty simple. Peformance mode otherwise known as PAT changes the command rate of the chipset from 2T to 1T. I hope that anwsers your question :)

Sen, the question is more about practical applications of it. while you are here, could you recommend him some good timings for his ram. i am not familiar with those sticks.

Duster, 2.5-4-4-10 is the Auto setting on this board. don't ask me why. it trys to set it even with my bh5. now, once again, don't worry about PAT, you can't get it. i must have missed it yesterday but you do have 4x512 sticks. that configuration disables PAT right away (i use 4x512 as you can see.) still, you need to tighten the timings a bit, depending what fsb you ran at. 2.5-4-4-10 is kinda slow.

mcoleg said:
Sen, the question is more about practical applications of it. while you are here, could you recommend him some good timings for his ram. i am not familiar with those sticks.

Duster, 2.5-4-4-10 is the Auto setting on this board. don't ask me why. it trys to set it even with my bh5. now, once again, don't worry about PAT, you can't get it. i must have missed it yesterday but you do have 4x512 sticks. that configuration disables PAT right away (i use 4x512 as you can see.) still, you need to tighten the timings a bit, depending what fsb you ran at. 2.5-4-4-10 is kinda slow.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I do run RAM/CPU/ AGP card at auto settings. The only thing that is not set to Auto, is Performance Acceleration Mode. I've now set this to Enabled.

Here is a link to the RAM I am using- http://www.crucial.com/eu/ballistix/content.asp?key=tracer

hope this helps.

Thanks again for your reply :)

DDR PC4000 • 2.5-4-4-8 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR500 • 2.8V

That is the RAM you have Duster according to your sig.

Try setting the timing to those above and then tweak from there. Those will be at least faster then your default.

suineg said:

Try setting the timing to those above and then tweak from there. Those will be at least faster then your default.

Thanks very much, I'll give that a try then :)

suineg's right. looks like 2.5-x-x-8 should be your goal. if you are running 400 fsb (or 200, however you count it), you might even try 2.5-3-3-8. set vdimm to 2.85 and set mem. ratio to 400 in bios and see what happens.

i had a stick with micron chips that would run 2.5-2-2-6 on my ai7 up to 217 fsb. still, you are running 4 slots there... i'd post in memory forum and ask more experienced guys for help. lowering the timings would help you more with overall speed than pat, i'd think.

suineg said:

Hi Guys,

Can you please check this for me, before I start changing settings in BIOS, as I am a newbie to setting up RAM. Thanks............

As I said before, my RAM is running at 2.5-4-4-10, but it should be running at 2.5-4-4-8, which is a little bit faster.

So If I disable "Configure DRAM timing by SPD" in BIOS, this will let me get to the RAM timings. Am I right so far?

The next screen is RAM timings-

DRAM CAS LATENCY is default 2.5

this gives me the 2.5-

DRAM RAS PRECHARGE Default 4

This gives me 2.5-4-

DRAM RAS TO CAS DELAY default 4

This gives me 2.5-4-4-

DRAM PRECHARGE DELAY Default 8

This gives me 2.5-4-4-8

DRAM BURST LENGTH Default 4

Not sure about this one...........

So by just turning off "Configure DRAM timing by SPD" in BIOS, and going with the default RAM timimgs, do I get the right RAM timings for my RAM.
Or am I wrong?
Sorry again, I am a Newbie at all this.

Thanks for reading

Back