• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your recommendation, please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

train22

Building a workstation... Any recommendation/feedback?

Hey guys, *long long* time no see (haven't been to this forum in over 4 years)

I'm building a friend of mine a new system and I could use a 2nd opinion... I'm not new to hardware etc, just been out of the loop (work-life really killed my hardware hobbying), I've not been watching the market as of late so I'm not up to date on all the mambo-jumbo, so I'd appreciate it if some of you could stir me in the right direction, or rather, the most "right" direction.

What he needs:
- A rock-solid system (will be used as a Linux workstation for backup, filesharing, and engineering work)
- Decent speed but still considered low-end I think (2.0ghz max)

What I plan to buy:
I want and AMD cpu and an ASUS motherboard (I've never had probs in 10 years with over a dozen diff asus mobos, it's the only brand I *really* trust)

As for mobo.. I realize the 754 socket is dying with the upcoming Socket X (or whatever it's called) but this system most likely won't be upgraded in parts. It will be used for about 5 years and then rebuilt from scratch. I find building systems with long-term upgrade-mindset in mind is unrealistic
anyway these days when socket standards last so little time anyway and technology is changing so fast.

I don't need really need suggestions as far as peripherals go, that's pretty straight-forward (HD, etc) so really the only thing I'm worried about is the CPU+Mobo combo. I just want the best valued low-end system I can get (he does not have a lot of money and I don't want to waste it)

So.. since socket 939/940 is too expensive, it's not worth it, a 2ghz 754 64bit chip will be plenty enough for him so I was thinking of this combo:

ASUS K8N-E Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD Motherboard - $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131548

AMD Sempron 64 3300+ Palermo 800MHz FSB 256KB L2 Cache Socket 754 - $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104233

Feature-wise, everything is fine, and I know ASUS won't let me down on the stability-front, but I am a bit skeptical since there is no feedback on the newegg product page for it and I can't find raving reviews about it.

NOTE: It doesn't even have to be 64bit, but value-wise I don't think it's cheaper to get a 32-bit system with the similar kind of performance as a $100 Sempron, is it?

So if someone could tell me if there's something wrong with this mobo, or if there's a better bang-for-the-buck choice for a 754 ASUS-ONLY mobo, that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
train.

EDIT: Oh forgot to mention.. (though it might have been obvious) This system will not be overclocked in any way, I just want a good spec-performing machine. Oh and by the way.. I don't know if this exists for x86 PCs but.. are there any PSUs with built-in batteries these days? I have something like this at work, it's like an internal UPS (on my Sun workstation). It's just more fun than an external UPS.

Last edited:
Back