• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1000-ish proposed gaming rig - comments?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

salty.dog

Processor: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Mobo: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
Memory: OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) 2-2-2-5
Vid Card: AOpen 7800GTX-DVD256 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB
HD: HITACHI Deskstar 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
PSU: Fortron AX450 450W
Case: Sky Hawk/Eagle Tech MSR4615

Adding in a copy of WinXP, the total comes to $1,115.83 shipped from Newegg, minus $65 in mail-in rebates, makes it $1,050.83 net. Not under $1000, but close.

The idea behind this rig is to get as much gaming horsepower out of $1000. From what I've read, the ASRock mobo is a pretty decent overclocker for the price. I chose the more expensive OCZ gold memory to ensure that I can get the FSB up to 240+. Should be able to get the processor to overclock pretty well, too. Since I didn't go with SLI, I'm going to get the top of the line single card (7800GTX) to future-proof myself.

The case isn't anything special, but it's only $20 in a combo deal with the processor. The PSU isn't outstanding, but should get the job done.

I'll be using an existing keyboard/mouse/DVD drive/monitor.

Future upgrades will be another gig of RAM, another identical HD (to run both in RAID 0), and a new monitor to enjoy the 7800GTX at high rez.

Questions:

1. Will I run into problems overclocking 4x512 memory when I add the second gig?

2. Is the Fortron 450W sufficient to power this system?

3. What type of cooling should I add to ensure that everything's stable when it's time to overclock?

Last edited:
if that case is that aluminum one, i like mine, it's decent for a cheap case

I'd spring for at least the 500w Blue Storm to be on the safe side for future upgrades. The Powestream 520w is another great choice. Otherwise, I would say everything is looking good. You may run into some problems adding another gig of RAM later, yes.

Some people might suggest a different motherboard, but I realize that you're pushing hard to stay within budget. I think what you have should work quite well.

I built my current setup for about $1050. That includes a Aspire case+500watt PSU and 120gb+80gb SATA HDs.

The Fortron Blue Storm would add an extra $40 or so, and the OCZ about $80, ordered from NewEgg.

Since the 4x512 probably wouldn't overclock well, and 2GB is almost a necessity nowadays, I'll probably end up springing for 2x1GB OCZ PC3200 Platinum 2-3-2-5.

I've read some very good things about the ASRock mobo, which is why I added it. Before that, I was thinking about a DFI LanParty. The ASRock got a good review on Anandtech - sounds like it's a competent oc'er, if not quite as good as the DFI board.

Cost additions:

$40 Blue Storm/$80 Powerstream
$100 moving from 2x512 to 2x1GB
$50 moving to the DFI board.

I'm sold on the 2x1GB. Still thinking about the PSU/mobo.

It's not that I have to stick to a budget - but the $1000 is a nice mental price point that doesn't make me feel like I'm blowing a lot of money. :cool:

salty.dog said:
The Fortron Blue Storm would add an extra $40 or so, and the OCZ about $80, ordered from NewEgg.

Since the 4x512 probably wouldn't overclock well, and 2GB is almost a necessity nowadays, I'll probably end up springing for 2x1GB OCZ PC3200 Platinum 2-3-2-5.

I've read some very good things about the ASRock mobo, which is why I added it. Before that, I was thinking about a DFI LanParty. The ASRock got a good review on Anandtech - sounds like it's a competent oc'er, if not quite as good as the DFI board.

Cost additions:

$40 Blue Storm/$80 Powerstream
$100 moving from 2x512 to 2x1GB
$50 moving to the DFI board.

I'm sold on the 2x1GB. Still thinking about the PSU/mobo.

It's not that I have to stick to a budget - but the $1000 is a nice mental price point that doesn't make me feel like I'm blowing a lot of money. :cool:

I've been stuck in the same boat as you are for about 3 weeks now. I still can't make up my mind. The major decision I'm having trouble overcoming is the mb selections.

I say get the ASRock. $50 is a fair amount of money, and even if you didn't OC, that system would perform great at stock. If you don't like it, you can sell it for around what you put into it and get the DFI board later. I don't like DFI on principle, and ASRock is the budget division of Asus, who make very solid boards.

If $1000 is important to you, I recommend that you go with some value RAM. Unlike Socket A systems, you don't need to run the memory 1:1 with the FSB (HTT) to get significant performance improvement. Expensive memory will get you a bit of extra performance (which really only shows up in synthetic benchmarks), but IMO for a budget-conscious builder, that extra performance does not justify the added cost. So, my suggestion would be to go with a cheaper 2x1GB kit and go with the Blue Storm 500W and a better case. Several forum members recommended the Antec SLK3000B for me and I couldn't be happier (great quality, case layout, airflow). At $45 shipped (techonweb.com), it's the best value out there IMO.

With the Fortron Blue Storm 500W PSU, the Antec case, and Geil 2x1GB PC3200, the total comes to $1,253.70 shipped (-$50 MIR = $1203.70).

Not cheap, but not too far above the $1000 price point.

Last edited:
muscl3s said:
I've been stuck in the same boat as you are for about 3 weeks now. I still can't make up my mind. The major decision I'm having trouble overcoming is the mb selections.

As have I!
I will say this.
I think I have narrowed it down to two boards.

do you really need 2gb of ram? unless you're working with large images or encoding a lot of sound/video (doesn't sound like it) it's really unnecessary. i'd spend the money you save by getting 1gb of ram on a better mobo.

jnev_89 said:
do you really need 2gb of ram? unless you're working with large images or encoding a lot of sound/video (doesn't sound like it) it's really unnecessary. i'd spend the money you save by getting 1gb of ram on a better mobo.
He said that this will be a gaming rig. We've already seen that BF2 benefits quite a bit from 2GB or RAM as opposed to 1GB, and I'm sure that trend will continue with newer games.

johan851 said:
I don't like DFI on principle, and ASRock is the budget division of Asus, who make very solid boards.

i'm guessing this is because they either totally suck or totally rock, am i right?

ps: thanks for the tipoff on asrock! i didn't know that :) what are the differences between the asrock boards and the 'higher end' asus boards?

Last edited:
Back