• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My school is tight.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Wow. My school gets comps from 3 sources: Dell, Apple, Sun, and, guess this, they build their own! They get the dells for free. They pay big bucks for the solaris workstations, and they have a lot of G5 imacs and towers. I swear that some of the labs look like they picked up every funky case off of newegg. Most use black antec cases. Yesterday I saw an elecrtical engineering professor building a rig for use in th ecomputer lab. Want to know the specs? Athlon 64 3200+, msi k8n neo, msi x300se, black antec case, antec power supply, black dvd burner, maxtor hard drives. All the computers in the science, engineering, and computer science buildings are self built (except for the solaris workstations in CS building). I think it is really cool that they build their own comps.
Also so many people build their own too and are very proficient with software. Nobody really overclocks anything much if at all; I only know 1 other person who does, and he is not very good. I am surprised how many AMD's there are. Of the build it yourselves, about 80% use AMD, and a lot of the intels want AMD. I don't know why, but everyone wants a 3700+ :shrug: . Of the buy it builts desktop category, about 2/5 intel, and the rest split between apple and amd. Of the laptops, about half are intel and half apple. I have only seen 1 amd laptop!

Just my observations.

Wow. My school sucks regarding pcs.

The computers available for internet for the students are 2Ghz celerons with 256 ram (slow as hell with too much network **** running). In-class, teachers have to use a 300Mhz dell laptop to connect to to the beamer for powerpoint.

The only thing real interesting is the bioinformatics lab..they have like 50 19" TFT's / 3.2ghz / 2gb ram / some fancy matrox vga and a bunch of dual xeon workstations :drool:

Our schools computer start out at with (I belive) dual 1.6ghz dells and go up to 3.4ghz Dells none of which have inagrated graphics or less than 1 gig of ram. Then in one of the engineering labs we have a bunch of Sun workstations.

lol my schools pcs consist of p2 233mhz 256mbs ram and 800mhz g4s with 128mb of ram... lmao its terrible browsing the internet in multiple tabs is damn near impossible lol

wow.. our school sucks we use crappy overcharged "MDG" pc's that are cheap celrons with 128 of ram... my school sucks... and they get loaded down with spyware from the idiotic students.... i hate it...

FOLD!!!!!!!!

i hate MDG - they had POS when i got some a few years back for a company. - the end of about 2 months they had all been sent in @ least once for something rbeaking.

Hello

In my opinion I thing MDG is a good buy for the average person who dosent overclock or run the pc to max. I would buy one of these pcs for my parents. For the rest of us keep builting the highend pcs for ourselfs. Dell and the rest are overpriced for what they do.

Fordman

Mr.Guvernment said:
FOLD!!!!!!!!

i hate MDG - they had POS when i got some a few years back for a company. - the end of about 2 months they had all been sent in @ least once for something rbeaking.

Speaking of folding, all the campus computers are running a distributed computing client. I forget what it is, but it is wierd. It actually does distributed computing from a bunch of different groups. I also recall that it has a female name.

fordman said:
In my opinion I thing MDG is a good buy for the average person who dosent overclock or run the pc to max. I would buy one of these pcs for my parents.

Have to disagree there. I've heard so many problem cases with MDG that it's not even funny. At least Dell there's some semblence of reliability, and I can't say Dell is overpriced when you can pick up a Celeron based system for around $300-500 CDN.

fordman said:
Hello

In my opinion I thing MDG is a good buy for the average person who dosent overclock or run the pc to max. I would buy one of these pcs for my parents. For the rest of us keep builting the highend pcs for ourselfs. Dell and the rest are overpriced for what they do.

Fordman

im sorry, but i positively disagree with you... they are horrible ripoffs, and i really dont like the quality of them.. ive seen a techie take em apart.. theyre crap.. imo, you'd actually be better getting a dell then MDG... theyre pure crap... ask most people from Canada... :rolleyes:

Zulu-1 said:
im sorry, but i positively disagree with you... they are horrible ripoffs, and i really dont like the quality of them.. ive seen a techie take em apart.. theyre crap.. imo, you'd actually be better getting a dell then MDG... theyre pure crap... ask most people from Canada... :rolleyes:
very true!

my ol P3(so called 900mhz s370) MDG....got the crap kicked outa it by my aunts P3(slot 1 500mhz) dell............i hate mdg they are such crap, and do not actually fix their products, they say they do but they just clear your hdd's.......those ********!

my school has 900mhz p3's for computer programming, some better dell 2.8ghz machines for cad and stuff, and then the rest are imacs or powerpc's. yea powerpc's. at least the computer programming room has AC

as all other said - those MDGs were for basic office applications, and they could not even do that

they used the cheapest no name mobhterboard - intergrated everything - cheap no name ram - the only brand name items were the process and the harddrive.

Back