• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why is gmail so incompetent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joethemole

Ok. this might just be me, but i'm getting fed up with gmail not responding to me sending messages. It happens to me 1 in 3 times when i send emails thru gmail, when it loads but really doesn't when i hit send, and 2 minutes later, gives me a message "document contains no data"

Also, it seems that gmail can't handle a 3 page word document and a 937kb jpeg image as attachments

WHYY!!

I don't even have firewall turned on.

10mb is the file attachment limit (but not sure if that is per email or per file).

Thought a word doc and a 1mb jpg shouldn't take up more than 10mb (unless there are pics etc... in the word doc).

As for me, don't know if I've ever received the 'document contains no data' error, maybe once or twice a long time ago if at all.

I think its just you. Could be your connection, could be your browser. If you've got a dynamic IP from your ISP, try a release/renew. Try IE if your using Firefox or vice versa. Try it from another network (school, office, library, etc, just not home).

My Gmail has been working great. I love my gmail :D .

G-Mail seems to block certain ZIP files IIRC. Was this a compressed folder by chance? I recall getting simular issues when trying to attach Zip files in G-Mail, but I think this was a Zipped ".exe" I was sending.

For what I paid for G-Mail, I have been VERY pleased with it. 2.5Gigs for FREE? I'm happy :)

:cool:

no problems for me, gmail is the best around, been using it over a year now not a single error :O

I've had no problems at all with gmail while using Firefox. I think it's great, especially since it's free.

Not a single issue with Gmail one bit, its just as lovely as Yahoo, just with some added features that I love.

Besides what e-mail account can let you have a virtual drive like G-Drive so you can just dump big files in and extract them at another location? I was so affraid of me not using my account to its fullest. Well finally found a good use for it. Now up to 600megs space used :) Hehe.

Even on dial-up connection (ok only used it once) it worked fine for me sending e-mails and such, much more responsive then yahoo and such because it lacks the big picture adds.

Ok - how about this issue with GMail:

at the top of the "Trash" folder in the header it specifically states:
"messages that have been in Trash more than 30 days will be automatically deleted"

(bold added for emphasis). Now we all know that Google collects a ton of data, but when they specifically SAY they will do something they should. However this doesn't seem to be the case for me, as I still have the original "Welcome to Gmail" email they send when you first open an account (over 9 months old).

So what gives? I mean I can manually delete this mail, but if they state 30-days and its gone then they ought to at least stick to it, right?

Randyman... said:
G-Mail seems to block certain ZIP files IIRC. Was this a compressed folder by chance? I recall getting simular issues when trying to attach Zip files in G-Mail, but I think this was a Zipped ".exe" I was sending.

For what I paid for G-Mail, I have been VERY pleased with it. 2.5Gigs for FREE? I'm happy :)

:cool:

My thoughts exactly. If certain file types are blocked automatically REGARDLESS, then why use the service? Sounds a little to AOL for me.

www.blazemail.com

Attach anything you want.

You can't send .exe's with quiet a bit of mail programs. Because its most of the time its a virus. Heck at work we send .exe files all the time for people, but we have to rename them or zip them.

Back