• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MX510 vs. MX518

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I have them both. Actually, I've bought a total of FOUR MX510s. I have not seen a single difference between the 510 and the 518.

I just wanted to mention this b/c I've owned my 518 for about a month now. It performs completely identical to my 510, in my eyes. If you have proof of an improvement somewhere else, then shout it out. I wanna know where I can see the difference. I play CS: CZ all the time, and CS: Source sometimes. If you know of a game where it's really obvious, then tell me.

I feel like the 518 is overrated, imo.

I have used both, and yes, they are nearly identical when you have the 518 set to 800dpi. But, I lock it at 1600dpi and adjust the sensativity through Windows' Mouse Properties. Seems much smoother.

Well, I was using his mx510 and well...I told him "I can totally tell the difference!" Go 1600 DPI, and well For some reason I missed it. Now, unless you like your mouse pointer moving that fast it is nice and you it is balanced better. But it is smoother and you can always turn, the pointer speed down.

Last edited:
the only difference I thought was the way the buttons can change sensitivity on the fly with the 518.

I'm confused. The sensitivity button changes the DPI?

Maybe you guys are right and I'm not at 1600dpi. I also DISABLED the sensitivity button b/c I don't need to change on the fly. I actually don't like that feature b/c I don't need to do that.

How do I set it to 1600dpi for all the time. I guess I can set it to that and then adjust my sens manually to what I want FIXED.

install the setpoint drivers, and then go to game settings, disable the bottom 2 sensitivity setups, set the top to 1600DPI, and then disable on the fly sensitivity (change the button assignments or something).

g0dM@n said:
I'm confused. The sensitivity button changes the DPI?

Maybe you guys are right and I'm not at 1600dpi. I also DISABLED the sensitivity button b/c I don't need to change on the fly. I actually don't like that feature b/c I don't need to do that.

How do I set it to 1600dpi for all the time. I guess I can set it to that and then adjust my sens manually to what I want FIXED.

actually, it will be on 1600dpi when you get rid of the button assignments. IN the game tab, it is always on 1600dpi.

Okay, so then back to my original statement... I see no difference.

well it should be twice as sensative.

move the mx510 1 inch and it covers x pixels
move the mx518 1 inch and it covers 2x pixels

I don't get it... so it affects your sens, or accuracy? I though it's just for accuracy.

it effects smoothness too. If you turn the "pointer speed" down it won't be as fast, and it'll be smoother. Some, people can't just tell, but I can and I hate not having 1600dpi sometimes.

what is dpi?

Last edited:
i actually don't think higher dpi would directly affect your accuracy. in fact, a slow as hell mouse would be the most accurate (move it 1 inch per pixel and you would be able to get it exaclty where you wanted, but obviously thats exagerated). its mainly for faster response.

i dont understand. i play and ONLY play multi player online games on the PC. i don't see any of a diff between the 510 and the 518

g0dM@n said:
i dont understand. i play and ONLY play multi player online games on the PC. i don't see any of a diff between the 510 and the 518

well...if you don't see a difference... I don't know, some people can't surely. But, it is a nice mouse, nice color and it is more balanced than the mx510.

I love my 510, and I would still probably take it over the 518 simply because i love the blue :)

What mousepads are everyone using? fUnc 1030 here, with these really thick mouse skates (something like xray infinity or something) . Everytime i use someone elses computer, i have to re-learn how to use a mouse with all the friction.

after using an mx mouse, I tend to press non-existing buttons on other mouses haha. I like the blue too, but I went with the mx518..it had just come out hehe. I didn't really like the silver at first, but I got used to it and now I like it.

I have both mice. I definetly perfer the mx518 over the 510. It just feels so much smoother and it's a lot easier to aim in FPS games like counterstrike IMO. An added bonus of the mx518 is the sweet silver color, which is definetly my favorite of the 3 colors you can get.

Back