• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD in XP install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oroka Sempai

I built a system for a friend in March, and last week he tells me that the computer just restarts, freezes sometimes, and norton cant complete a system scan. It just locks the computer up.

So I got the system from him, and nothing I do is helping. HDD checks out, RAM checks out, not the videocard, not the CD-ROM (all this determined by removing or using diffrent parts). I pulled the HDD, hooked it to my system, checked it with Partition Magic 8, deleted the partition, created a new one, formated it, checked it for errors... all fine. It now has my RAM in it, my CD-ROM, its own tested HDD, AGP videocard is removed, it is now using onboard video.

I try to install XP, but it loads all the files for install, but when it gets to the 'Press Enter to install XP' screen, it usually BSODs, saying 'IRQ_NOT_EQUIL_OR_LESS', and often refrences a USB.sys file. As I type this, I disabled the onboard USB, and now the system dont even get into the blue windows XP install screen. It just gives a weird error, sometimes jibberish. Right now the screen is black with 'TRAP' in the top lefthand corner.

Could this be a over heating problem? Mobo issue?

::EDIT:: OH ****! The system monitor is saying the CPU is at 93c!! Any ideas on that? I will pull the HSF off tomorrow and check it... but 93c!?!?!? That is a bit much, dont you think?

With that last bit, I would certainly say its something with the heat that has been caused. Either heat has messed up the CPU (unlikely, seeing as how it starts, but still a big possibility) or heat has messed up the mobo. However, that is not to say your temp diode is just reading wrong.

well, I pulled the HSF and the heatsink was PLUGGED with dust! I couldnt find my articsilver, so I just used the white gunk... it is hot now, 55c, but that is alot better than 93c. When I build the system, the fan I had to use with the case was pretty crappy, it uses a deep 60mm fan. I pulled the grill off the fan, and put a 80mm fan blowing onto the HSF.

BTW, the CPU is a Sempron 2800.

::update:: System seems to have leveled out at 59c, but I am getting BSOD or it just freezes on the 'Welcome to Setup' screen.

Is there any way to test the CPU from DOS? I really need to know ASAP what the problem is/might be.

::edit::

The system is a Sempron 2800+, PCCHIPS MB-825G KM266Pro Socket A , 256mb Ultra PC 2700, 120gb Maxtor, 52x CD-ROM, Ultra HSF

Last edited:
Well it seems like you may have fixed the issue with the heat, although 58C is high. Try checking all the connections and cleaning off the XP CD, sometimes it's two issues or you created one by going into the case, like a lose connection. Then you may need to clear your CMOS and boot into the fail safe settings. See if you can do an F10 right before you hang at welcome to setup and if so you can go into the recovery console and type help at the prompt look at fixboot , fixmbr, fixpart, chkdsk

edit another thing may be that you formated with partition magic, and xp being MS will not correctly recognize it now. try and delete the existing partition with XP and then create a new one with XP and then do a format- then try set up.

Well, it usually locks up or BSODs before it asks me about the partition... I thing it might still be a heat problem, it seems I can get a bit farther when the system still hasnt heated up yet. I am going to shut the system off now, and maybe around 2:30am (when I get home from work) I will try again.

Back