• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When Overclocking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

When overclocking... what part of the motherboard usually determines an overclock...

I recently got back my nf7-s rev 2 and i would like to try my hand at it again.
I overclocked decently but not greatly last time and maybe since i got it back it might be a totally different board. Do you know if abit does that? or do you think it is just the same board with a different bios chip?

i am also thinking of cooling several parts on it. I am going to be replacing the nb cooler of course, and putting mosfet heatsinks.

Do you know if the OCZ Copper BGA Ramsinks fit on them?
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/cooling_products/ocz_copper_bga_ramsink

Tyreal said:
When overclocking... what part of the motherboard usually determines an overclock...

I recently got back my nf7-s rev 2 and i would like to try my hand at it again.
I overclocked decently but not greatly last time and maybe since i got it back it might be a totally different board. Do you know if abit does that? or do you think it is just the same board with a different bios chip?

i am also thinking of cooling several parts on it. I am going to be replacing the nb cooler of course, and putting mosfet heatsinks.

Do you know if the OCZ Copper BGA Ramsinks fit on them?
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/cooling_products/ocz_copper_bga_ramsink

The motherboard has a Clockgen (ICS on my asus), and that gives it a stock clock (200Mhz for me).

ABit does give out new boards, I think. Someone from the forums to whom I speak with a lot, RMA'ed his IC7-Max3, and the one he got back was different, and didn't overclock nearly as well.

cool. there is a thing about nf7-s's that you either get a board that can do over 240 or not. Maybe i got lucky this time. Im gonna pimp it out soon enough.

Back