• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Friendly update (batboy)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfoolio

Registered
Hey batboy, it's been awhile just wanted to let you know that i've got my system (with the same hardware as before) up to a good and stable 3.404 ghz, with memory timings at 3-7-4-4 (same ram as before), running at 38c (idle) and 50c (peak load) average 47/48c (load).. in MBM5, which in reality is still a couple degrees cooler.. will be venturing on to get my system higher.. but I basically got my case temp down to 28c, so thats cool too. Just wanted to let you know and thanx for all the help, i will be posting to see what else i can get :)

as of now:
abit IS-7
P4 2.8c @ 3404 mhz
xp-120 heatsync
panaflo 120mm fan
1 x 512mb 2-3-3 mushkin
1 x 512mb 3-3-3 mushkin
radeon 9700 pro

etc..

any other q's or comments let me know :)

I'm going to try and go higher today, what's the highest suggested voltage for the ram/cpu that i can safely go to? (ram is 2.8 atm, and i believe my cpu is 1.6)

2.8 vdimm is generaly fine. 1.600 Vcore is also fine, the general rule is not to go over 1.625 1.650 (actual, this being the read out in mbm).

ok currently i made a mistake.. my vcore is at 1.650 stable running at 3404 mhz on the 2.8c in bios, i can't oc (even one fsb higher) without pushing the vcore up more to keep it stable.. and don't wanna risk it if the general rule is not go higher.. but i may be able to pull MAYBE 3.5ghz if I bump the vcore, but again don't want to do this. All in all im pretty satisfied and surprised I got it to 3.4ghz with normal air cooling, the heatsync is great! any other suggestions let me know, but i have been considering getting the highest quality mushkin pc3200 ddr400 dual pack of ram just to see what i can achieve with equal ram chips and lower timings.. (currently my timings are set to 3-7-4-4). Any other help or tips or ideas or questions please feel free to post! thanks again for all your help at the ocforums!

Then I would think you could squeeze better timings out of them. Bump the vdimm up to maybe 2.7v and try lowering the timing one at a time. It would be nice if you could achieve a goal of 2.5-3-3-6.

ok got the timings down to 2.5-3-3-6 w/ vdimm at 2.8v, my vcore is 1.65 and my clock is still 243 fsb which equates to 3404 mhz.. any other ideas?

Looks like you are maxed out, unless you go crazy on the vcore, not recommended unless you are willing to by a new CPU if the chip does fail. If you are looking for more performance out of your rig. You can overclock that 9700. Download something like ATi Tool. Although the auto test is still very buggy, always goes way over my stable limit and makes my PC sudden reboot because it clocks the card so high, so be aware of that.

Scott.

well i was tweaking around a little bit, and i got the memory timings to 2.5-3-3-6 at 1.7 vdimm, cpu is still 3404mhz at 1.65 vcore, and I got the memory ration down to 3:2 stable.. (while running 3dmark05).. so thats just a little update, does that give me any more room to do anything else? (i think i hit a sweet spot here because I never used to do 3:2 mem ration unless i was oced to like 3150 mhz)

You don't want to use the 3:2 ratio if 1:1 works ok. Even the 5:4 ratio is better than the 3:2 ratio which runs the RAM lots slower than the FSB.

Well I did it.. I think I pushed my CPU to it's furthest.. I OCed it last night to 248 FSB, which came out to roughly 3472mhz almost peaking at 3.5 ghz (damn i wish i got it up that high). And it's VERY stable, playing 3dmark 05 (and hours of WoW). Here are the main stats:

2.8c @ 3.472ghz
2 x 512 mb Mushkin sticks (2-3-3, and 3-3-3) set at 2.5-3-36 timings
Memory ratio 5:4
Abit IS7 board
XP-120 Heatsync (all air baby)
120mm Panaflo (most powerful fan they had, 1umd or whatever model)
Temps: Case 29c, CPU High during 3dmark 53c peak, low 37c peak. Average full load temp is about 48-51c.
Vcore @ 1.650
Vdimm @ 2.7

Ok Guys I think i've reached my limit.. but im willing to try anything else :) Hit me with something :)

Sidenote - Can I OC a radeon 9700 pro any higher safely with stock cooling? I have ATI tool..

Back