• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP? maybe.... need advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SB911

A friend of mine has a pair of 1.7ghz Xeon's 400fsb, and a pair of Xeon 2ghz HT's (thats all the info I have). I would like to build a video encoding/work machine, but what is out there for (decently priced) boards for these CPU's? As far as overclocking goes, i'm not sure yet, i've been reading through the info here but I am left a little confused.

So are these decent CPU's to build a work machine with?

I try and pick ASUS boards before any other brands but i'm not sure in this situation.

What am I in for?? lol....

Thanks

well those 1.7GHz are socket 603, they will work in any 604 socet Mobo too. I have a Supermicro 603 dual board I could sell you (PM me if you are interested). Those 2.0 could be either 603 or 604. We need more details. If the 2.0 are 604 then get a PC-DL best low end mobo with very high OC potinetal.

If we could get the Spec from them we could tell you more.

The 2ghz are Socket 603 also, from what I was just told. They are not here with us so I can't get anymore info.

OK, well you probaly can guess the 2.0GHz's are better. (They are 300MHz faster). I responded to your pm. I am not getting rid of my PC-DL.

Hey thanks for your help Shelnut. I think I would pick up a PC-DL new, I was looking at the specs and it has everything I am after. Now a price to pay for the CPU's, any ideas?

no more than $150. You can pick up a pair of 1.6LV's for $150 or cheaper of ebay.

Carefull with the 1.7 chips..Just make sure there not looking for 1.75Vcore to run like the 1.5 chips do . . . .

i had a set of the 2Ghz xeons and they are ok OCer the pair i had would post at 3.32 but they would not do 200 FSB becaue the multi was 20 and when tryed to boot at 200FSB it had to for a split sec post at 200X20 which is 4Ghz

Rpkole said:
i had a set of the 2Ghz xeons and they are ok OCer the pair i had would post at 3.32 but they would not do 200 FSB becaue the multi was 20 and when tryed to boot at 200FSB it had to for a split sec post at 200X20 which is 4Ghz

Post at 3.32ghz? As in 3.32 per cpu? Total of 6.64? If so, that's crazy!!

Do you think they would run at 3ghz? I had a number in my mind for final OC....... 2.5ghz, thats my goal, but if I can get stable 3ghz OC that would be awesome!. I have watercooling with a 2 x 120mm rad, need to get blocks for the Xeon's though. And also need to learn more about OCing (yes i'm a noob when it comes to that)

I've been looking at the swiftech blocks, any reason I shouldn't use them?

Not an expert on the bewildering array of xeons, but I can tell you that the s-spec or at least the voltage/stepping would be key to making an informed guess about OCability...

For example, there are C1 stepping 1.6LV cpus that tend to OC to around 2.6, give or take a couple hundred mhz. My D1 stepping 1.6LV cpus, however, do 3.27(prime/folding/daily usage stable; will post at something like 3.7), and this is well within the normal range for their type. So stepping makes a huge difference.

You're lucky you have a penchant for Asus, seeing as they make the only really affordable and fast xeon board around.

Oh, and I'm using swifty 6002s on my xeon/pc-dl rig, great blocks.

Anybody know where I can get the 4 pin molex to 8 pin adapter for the ASUS PC-DL??? and possibly the 20 - 24 pin PSU adapter

SB911 said:
Anybody know where I can get the 4 pin molex to 8 pin adapter for the ASUS PC-DL??? and possibly the 20 - 24 pin PSU adapter

You may want to consider getting a PSU that has these connectors..

What PSU are you going to use ? ?

I actually have dual PSU's, 400w and 450w, I didn't want to buy another one since these are decent and not that old.

SB911 said:
Post at 3.32ghz? As in 3.32 per cpu? Total of 6.64? If so, that's crazy!!

Do you think they would run at 3ghz? I had a number in my mind for final OC....... 2.5ghz, thats my goal, but if I can get stable 3ghz OC that would be awesome!. I have watercooling with a 2 x 120mm rad, need to get blocks for the Xeon's though. And also need to learn more about OCing (yes i'm a noob when it comes to that)

I've been looking at the swiftech blocks, any reason I shouldn't use them?

yes 3.32 each :p but i never really got to test mine good but they were the 2.0Ghz LV D1 steping xeon.
They could have probaly ran even faster but i did not have clock gen at the time and could only do 165FSB from bios cause the next option was 200Fsb which they could not run at cause that would be 4Ghz :drool: for the split sec it took bios to load.
As for water cooling you probaly wont need it to run at 3Ghz+ but it is nice to have so you dont have to listen to the Intel Wind Tunnels Fans

SL5Z9 3209A420-0469
SL5Z9 3209A420-0450

So are they OC friendly? Or not?
Using them no matter what lol.

The board will be here tommorrow.

Last edited:
Good luck with those 2 power Supplies I hope one has at least 26a on the 12 volt rail ..

diehrd said:
Good luck with those 2 power Supplies I hope one has at least 26a on the 12 volt rail ..

Well, i'm in search of a power supply I suppose. Any recommendations?

Back