• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

out of ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enhanced

i ordered a p4p800e deluxe about a year ago and had been very happy with it. i had a 3.2 C0 prescott running at 3.77Ghz with no problems. i ordered a new cpu (P4 3.2 D0)to get a higher overclock and it installed and ran fine for about 30 hours. when i came home from work the fans and lights were still on but there was no display. the cpu and ram were ice cold.

I put a 1.6 P4 in the board and got nothing, tested the ram and PSU both are ok. I assumed it was the board that had died so i orderd another one, got it yesterday. i installed everything in the new board and turned it on. the fans and lights came on but there was no display, the ram and cpu didn't get warm at all. i tried a 2.4 and a 1.6 in the new board and got the same result.

whats wrong here???
thanks!

im pretty sure a X.XC means the chip is in fact a northwood, and not a prescott.
the 1.6 might have been a wilamette.
the 3.2D i think is the prescott.

im pretty sure the p4p800X- series is for northwoods, put a prescott into one of those, and youll pull way too much power and fry it. especially overclocking one. i think a few of them in that line are so called "prescott ready" and im allmost sure one of the P4P-800X series was made specifically for prescotts, but you likely put a prescott onto one of the northwood only boards.
as for the 1.6, if thats a wilamette P4 i dont think it would work on that board anyway (who knows, might damage it too?).
im sure ive fudged some details, but i think this might be the general problem you are facing.

Last edited:
have you tried a different video card? Power supply?

the P4P800's can handle a prescott, though they will get strained when overclocking but if adequately cooled, will do the job.

A 1.6ghz willamette is not going to be a problem for the P4P800 boards. That is not the problem.

:welcome: to the forums

ok, well i had a 3.2 prescott running in it fine, it was a C0, i ordered a D0 to get a better OC, it ran for like 30hours and died. the 2.4 is a 533FSB chip and is a northwood, the 1.6 is a willamette. all 3 chips should work fine in this board, but none of the 3 will do anything, the 1.6 and 2.4 are both running in another system right now.

i have a watercooling setup, so temps are no problem. i have tried 2 different video cards, different ram and a different PSU, all have lead me no where.

I even took the 2.4, the ram and PSU from the problem build and put it on another board and it worked fine. Everything works in another build other than the 2 asus p4p800's and the 3.2. i have no other boards that support a 800FSB so i can't test the 3.2.

it seems odd that a 1 years old mobo and a brand new one have the exact same problem. the new one never even booted at all!!! I took it from its box, installed the cpu, ram, etc and never even got a beep out of it!

wow, i wasnt even in the ballpark. my apoligies.
do you possibly need a bios flash for support of that particular chip? something odd like that?

hey, no problem man, we all make mistakes! no big deal! :)

I dont think i need a BIOS flash. that can't be the problem anyway, my first board worked fine with a 3.2 C0 for a year and now both boards fail to do anything with a 1.6, a 2.4 and 3.2 chip!

Back