• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well, just built a new computer for the first time and there might be a problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xpred

Registered
Well, I just built a new computer for the first time, however I think there might be a problem. My specs are as follows: AMD Athlon 64 2800+, Abit NF8 mobo, Leadtek GeForce 6800LE 128MB AGP, 2x512 Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM. I plugged in the switches and stuff, and I went into my BIOS. First thing I checked were the temps and it showed that my CPU was 50C right after loading up (it would be super hot then on full load!)! Wow... I didn't think it be that hot... so I think I might have messed up on my thermal paste application OR my BIOS may be showing wrong temps. I did follow the instructions on the website (I used Arctic Ceramique), but I guess I MIGHT have messed it up--I don't know, but I have some questions.

1. Do these thermal pastes have to wait a long time before they work? Maybe I just need to wait? Or I might have done something wrong? It's a hassle to clean/reapply again *sigh*...

2. After you first bootup, do you need to check or change anything in the BIOS? I don't know if you have to change the voltages/ratios/anything like that. The BIOS did correctly detect my CPU though, but I'm not sure if I need to change anything. The vcore/voltages were at "default"... so I guess I'm good?

Thanks...

Ok nevermind, I figured it out. It was just my Abit Nf8 mobo calibration wrong. I searched on google and found out everyone who bought this board had the same problems. Updated the bios, now it shows 35C-40C idling. Is this temp good for Athlons? :)

yeah, that temp is fine, but the important temp is the load. Use a program like folding at home to figure that out.

now you want to get a new heatsink. lol i'm running a p4 northwood at 3.8ghz and the temps are a little lower than yours.

-1cem4n

depends on what he wants to do. I'm sure his load temps will be fine as long as he doesn't oc much. If he does, he will definately want a beefier hsf.

Back