• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i disable the lights on my cheap fan controller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its a bit hard to tell from the pictures but it doesnt seem like the leds are solderd onto the pcb. maybe you could try pulling it out. crushing the bulbs might not be a good idea. clipping the wires would probably be safer.

As the other guy said, just clip the wires. Its possible that by crushing the LEDs (hard to do, tough plastic), you could short it out and maybe damage something.

I would just clip the two wires to the LED, then you could resolder them later on down the road if you wanted to activate them.

13-999-503-08.JPG

What I did to my Sunbeam fan controller's LED's is I pained over them with Whiteout, I can still see a little light, but most of the glare is gone.

Silversinksam said:
I would just clip the two wires to the LED, then you could resolder them later on down the road if you wanted to activate them.

13-999-503-08.JPG

What I did to my Sunbeam fan controller's LED's is I pained over them with Whiteout, I can still see a little light, but most of the glare is gone.

While cutting them is a great idea, wouldnt you only need to cut one of the leads? That would still darken the LED but not make it such a chore to reconnect.

Also if I remember correctly the LED lights up a ring so the whiteout mod might be a little harder to do.

*edit* After looking at my vantec that I have boxed because of the annoying buzz from it I have concluded that SSS's suggestion of cutting one or both leads would be effective. Cutting both would remove the LED completely tho so just cut one and leave the LEDs in place just in case you decide to sell it and want to reconnect them. Just cut it above the plastic base with enough room for you to get the soldering want back in. :) Good luck and have fun!

JT

Last edited:
I have that exact same fan controller and the easiest way to remove the LEDs is with a pair of nail clippers (not enough space to get wire cutter in there). I added my own lighting later with a toggle switch.

Welcome to the fourms bro!!! :cool:

I would just unsoder them from the board, or clip the leads

and bad sss *wags finger* your not suppossed to link to other websites, LOL j/k j/k *hides in corner*

Cap: Since I like the lights I dont want to mess with them but was there anyway to pull them from the plastic.... socket? I am not sure if that is soldered in or just placed in place. If it is placed you could use your own LEDs.

Sprue cutters, nail clippers and a few other tiny clippers would work fine.

I wouldnt recommend desoldering. We want to keep it easy to reverse. Clipping one lead leaves everything intact and in the unit. :)

JT

There appears to be fairly long leads on the LEDs. Just bend them back and place a piece of black tape between the LED and the mounting hole. That way, the LEDs will still work, but won't shine through the bezel. You can always bend them back in place if you want to.

My Thermaltake has LEDs like that and I just cut a lead on each one. It'll be easy to solder back together later on if I, for some strange reason, ever want to have lights on it again.

Back