• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Media Player 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

im getting pretty ****ed at wmp10. it started giving me yellow exclamation errors "this application failed to start" or w/e and then i tried to deleted it thru "add or remove programs" and it always says "rollback failed, plz restart. Ive restarted at least 7 times, and tried reinstalling different versions of wmp10 and wmp9, sometimes it goes thru sometimes it doesnt, when it does it says the "application failed to start" error, and still cant delete it, i get "rolling back failed". So im basically stuck and cant watch jack *****. Im so sick of windows, the other day it gave me BSOD on bootup i spent 6 hours fixing it now this.

nothing... is there at least an alternative i can use for now?

Just about anything is better. There are a ton of programs out there including Real Player, Quicktime and WinAmp. Even if it's spyware and you fix it you are better off using a different media player. Good luck.

dbpoweramp is my favorite alternative to WMP. media player classic is very good also

Im so sick of windows
nothing... is there at least an alternative i can use for now?

Maybe you should give linux a shot. If you want to stick with M$, I always liked realplayer and quicktime more than wmp. I refused to use the later versions of wmp as they incorporated drm.

Give this one a try.
http://foobar2000.com/
It's not gonna help you for video though. I liked it and it really has a lot of customization built right in. Good stuff. I use...wait for it...wait for it...Windows Media Player 10 and love it. It works for most of my needs and I have soooooooo many alternatives in my boxes, that if it gives me any crap, I just open whatever in something else. These days it seems you have to have alternatives anyhow.

Good gawd...they must have really fixed up Real Player if people are willing to recommend it as a media play. Last time I used that thing it ****ed me off so bad I formatted my computer.

I hear nothing but good about Media Player Classic, but I've never had any issues with WMP (8,9, or 10) so I've never needed to try it. I use WMP for video and foobar2k for my audio.

At work I have a crippled version of WMP so I had to install VLC -- Video Lan Client -- I don't remember the full title but it has DivX, XviD, etc codecs integrated so you dont need to install that type of stuff. :thup:

The problem is i cant see the videos online!! As in those applets that appear in eubamsworld.com etc... i get "Can Not create directshow player" error... I just wish to FIX wmp10

i like Mediaplyer -real player i will never trust due to the million law suits they have had for spying on their customers

if not media player i use PowerDVD.

I cant believe no one mentioned VLC Media Player. This is the only player I use for video. It will play everything cept realmedia format (surprise). For music or streaming media, winamp kicks the llama's ***. no pun intended.

Funny that you mention that. I use vlc all the time, I just think of it as a Linux program, not a windows program. VLC is a great media player. mplayer, xine, and ogle are excellent too, but I don't think they work in windows.

I knew i wasnt the only one ;)

I saw that VLC could be used in linux, and with my frustration increasing with M$, maybe now is the time to explore my options with linux.

VLC was written initially for linux but ported to windows. =p

Well I'm looking into switching completely away from WMP10... winamp looked to be my first choice, but it looks as though you can't rip CD's with it using the free version. Are there other 'all in one' media players that will rip cd's too like WMP10 does?

Back