• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can this be done with remote desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hi guys. even though i moved to mac, theres one program i cant have just yet. Guitar pro. theyres supposed to be one before 2005, they claimed end of sept, but its not here yet.

im getting impatient, and i need to write some stuff down in it.

So rather lugging another machine, im wondering if this is possible

i know with remote desktop, you have to log in. ive never really done it though..

Can i make a username on my brothers comp for me, i nstall the software i want, and while my bros logged in, log in, and USE the programs from a remote computer?

itll be from my g5, but it wont make a difference. just think of it as doing it from another PC

pretty much, i want to be able to run programs from his machine, on my computer, while hes on his goign about his business, is this possible?

thanks in advance.

No, you can not remote in while he is doing things.

I think thats only possible if it were a Windows Server box (correct me if I'm wrong).

You can remote while he is doing stuff but he will have to send a help request and you will take over his pc so he wouldn't be able to do anything.

Chevelle said:
No, you can not remote in while he is doing things.

I think thats only possible if it were a Windows Server box (correct me if I'm wrong).
You are correct. That is the major limitaion of XPs remote desktop. One at a time.

Yeah, I fix my dad's computer like that all the time. We live in the same apartment building, and share a wireless connection. Everytime I log in, he has to get off. Everytime I tell him I will do this, he asks if there is a way for him to watch what I am doing from up in his apartment. Everytime I tell him no.

I also have a celeron 400mhz set-up as a server box. No mouse, no keyboard, no monitor, no CD-ROM, no FDD. Just one HDD and a wireless nic stuffed in a hall closet with a power socket. Very convienant, and out of the way.

I have a dream where there is one computer in the basement, and everyone in the family can use it at once VIA wireless interface devices, or atleast wire the house up for USB. One big thing is multipule users at once.

im doing that with my 400mhz pos right now. works fine on mac, my only complaint is no sound, and i guess midi doesnt work over this connection

Oroka Sempai said:
Yeah, I fix my dad's computer like that all the time. We live in the same apartment building, and share a wireless connection. Everytime I log in, he has to get off. Everytime I tell him I will do this, he asks if there is a way for him to watch what I am doing from up in his apartment. Everytime I tell him no.

Why not tell him yes. Its a tool called remote assistance which allows you to remotely take control of his pc while he is on it. Its built into XP.

This thread really went off topic. I don't beleive their is RDC client for the mac. IIRC Server 2003 is quite a bit different and also allows you RDC through HTTP.

Back