• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no SATA detected?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toaster

Registered
anyone know why i have no SATA hard drives when i boot up if i change 260mhz on the MB? it works up until 260 then it says "specify boot path" or sumthing like that. any ideas?

p4630 @ 3885 (256)
2 gb corsair ddr2
1 74 gb raptor
1 160 gb ide seagate
radeon xl800
p5gdc-deluxe

It could be just an OC issue, but my money is on the 915 chipset "float" problem. Even if you lock the bus in BIOS, on the 915 they still float up when you increase FSB. IIRC, on my 915 board it was somewhere around 114MHz PCI-e bus at 245+ FSB even though the buses were "locked" at 100/33.

The problem with SATA is that it is very susceptable to out-of-spec bus freqs. IDE drives are more forgiving. You might want to check if there are any BIOS updates first. I really don't think the problem could've been solved with a simple BIOS fix, but I guess you never know and I didn't have my 915 board long enough to find out ;) In the meantime turn down the FSB and that should solve the problem.

Back