• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If Windows "Vista" is a DVD, could I still copy the setup files to a HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

If Windows "Vista" is a DVD, could I still copy the setup files to a HDD?

I'm asking this, because if I try Windows Vista, would I be able to copy the setup files to a hard disk drive like you can with Windows XP and earlier? (currently called "Vista") (I'm worried that the DVD would be CSS'ed like movie DVDs!!!)

For example, with a 32-bit system that has 2 HDDs: (at least with PATA)

Copy the entire \i386 to the secondary HDD, copy \i386 > HDD1

M$ likely will do everything possible to prevent this. =p They are really paranoid about piracy.

I'm not really sure though, that's just a guess.

The beta is crippled, it only works for a certain period of time then it disables itself.

Well, they have been alowing it for every windows until now, so I doubt they will stop it now.

When it comes to Windows piracy, I seriously doubt that people copying disc contents to their HDD is a big concern. All the piracy comes from ISOs off of bittorrent, or copied discs.

I don't know much about CSS, but I think it is specific to video. I have never seen encrytion on DVD released software.

MRD said:
M$ likely will do everything possible to prevent this. =p They are really paranoid about piracy.

I'm not really sure though, that's just a guess.

This is exactly why I'm glad that ReactOS exists. :cool:

apu318 said:
I dont know why theyre so worried about piracy. It just get cracked 10 minutes after it comes out.

Sure it gets cracked, but it still stops a few casual pirates I guess. The ones who *really* want to crack it and know where to look and what to do will crack it. However it stops the rest.

I guess MS also feel good that they are actually taking steps to try and stop it?

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to copy the setup files from the DVD. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to create their slipstreams and what not. I'm not really too worried about it, but I guess we'll see.

Their "protection" has always been in the key and not the files so to speak.

I don't understand if you are too cheap to buy a DVD drive or if you find that installing is faster via HD?

I don't think it really matter either way though.

Back