• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so i built my first intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8vega350

but im not happy specs are

abit vt7 (if its worth it ill get a differnt board)
2.7gig celly (running @3400 1.6v)
512mb ddr

i wanted to set this pc up as an encoder and i thought thats what intel biggest strength was but useing virtual dub im only getting about 27 to 30 fps out of this pc on my amd machines encoding the same movie and at the same settings im getting about 43fps @2200mhz.

also super pi takes 22sec @2000mhz on my amd's and 40 sec on this celly i dont think this sounds right but like i said its my first intel does this sound right to everyone or am i doing something wrong here

a 22sec SuperPi? Is that a 1M time? that is highly doubtful, especially at 2200mhz.

the 40sec sounds right for the Celeron.

Do you have all the drivers installed for your chipset? Are you running in dual channel mode?

I wouldn't say that Intel processors are any faster in encoding than AMD processors of similar price (according to anandtech benchmarks), but your pc is actualy usable while you are encoding thanks to HT. I don't believe that Celeron has HT though, but the price was right. :p

I get 33sec on my Venice.

EDIT:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2456&p=5
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2456&p=4

I remember another benchmark that was a lot more in-depth, but you get the idea.

mmm... yeah, looks like the cache of the celly is holding you back. cant imagine what else it could be...
budget rig = budget performance, i suppose; intel or not in this case it seems.

hows the ram bandwith in memtest? that might be in need of some tweaking too.
i bet with boosting the ram you might get a little more out of it...

yeah i have it running dual channel i have the via 456 drivers superpi was at 512 not 1m sorry

i thought that the celly could encolde about the same speed as the p4 for some reason

i just ran super pi @ 1m and it takes 53sec @2000mhz on my amd ill run it on the intel in a min

its taking the celly 1:55 to do the 1m test

memory bandwidth it 2600MB/s on sandra for the celly

Last edited:
a celeron is not going to be very good for encoding. a 6x series cpu would be better than a comparable amd, a 8x series cpu would be even better. a celeron is like a sempron, good for basic tasks like office and internet, not cpu-intensive chores.

I use my laptop for encoding and I can say that it loves L2 cache. I upgraded the 1.6GHz P-M Banias core (1MB) with a 2GHz Dothan (2MB) and it cut encoding time in half for certain types of clips. I don't believe the 400MHz alone would have that much of an impact.

Back