• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What was an attempt at upgrading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

as of right now when I try and play games my comp reboots durin the middle of a nice bf2 game. Now for a long time(6 months) I assumed this was due to my generic 500 watt psu. I still think this is the case, but, when I went lookin for new psu's I found the one I wanted which was OCZ PowerStream 520 watt. I have a MSI 480M2-IL micro atx mobo. The psu I want is normal ATX. That got me thinkin about gettin a new motherboard, DFI LanParty/or DFI Ultra. I did a little research and found out these boards tend to "like" native 24 pin connector psu's. I am not sure what pins this OCZ I am lookin at has.
Then, after, I get my bare minimum down (psu/mobo) I was gonna buy a new vid card. I looked around ALOT. I found that the BFG 6800GTOCX wouyld best suite my needs for 300 bucks. Plus it is sli supported so once I get enough courage I can buy another one. Then , I found out the OCZ powerstream is not sli compatible. IS it or isnt it ? can i make it ? too many choices. So originally i wanted to just buy a new vid card and be set, but thats not what will get my machine up to par and workin good.

My current machine
AMD64 939 pin 3000+
Mobo is MSI RS480M2-IL Micro ATX
Nvidia 6200 TC
generic 500 watt psu
80 gig IDE hdd

What i want my machine to be
AMD64939 pin 3000+
DFI LanParty UT nF4-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD
BFG 6800GT OCX PCIE
OCZ PowerStream 520 Watt
Maybe a 250 Gig SATA Hitachi

Any incompatibilty issues i might be overlooking besides the psu not havin sli support right now( i prolly wont have sli anyways, just would be nice to know that i could if i wanted)?

powerstream is native 24pin, it can go both ways 20 or 24 pin. OCZ is compatible for SLI to a degree it has one PCI-E connector, you'll need a power adapter for the second card if you decide to go SLI, but there should be one included in the bundle with the card, so hold on to that for future use.

WaTTz said:
as of right now when I try and play games my comp reboots durin the middle of a nice bf2 game.

I have been chasing this same problem for quite some time. In 4 hours of gaming, I will get thrown 4 times. Except mine throws me to the desktop. For me, it wouldn't happen ALL the time, and it is hard to nail down. Here's what I found:

First I thought it had something to do with online play. So I did testing in single player. Same thing.

I noticed it would happen when ALOT of stuff was going on in a scene. Mass explosions, people, and lots of vehicles all happening at once. So I thought/think video card. Added new cooler & heatsinks. I don't think it really helped.

So then I got to thinking about how it would happen in large scenes. That led me to start thinking Processor. So I put a new cooler on it. I don't think that helped the problem either.

Then I got to thinking about how the above 2 are connected...........the Northbridge. I found that it was indeed the warmest thing in my computer. So I put a new heatsink & fan on it. It did not help, I think.

Then I got to thinking about system memory. So I installed another stick of 512MB. It got worse. Throw me out of large scenes about every 7 minutes. I also noticed that with the new stick of memory, my video card's tempeture jumped up 8 degrees of what it normaly runs at during gaming. Pull the new memory out, and the temp drops & I'm back to getting thrown once an hour.

So for kicks, i upped the tempeture of my room to 90 degrees. The video card started to artifact, but I wasn't getting kicked from the game any more, or any less. So I feel it's not a heat issue.

Here's where I'm at right now.
I think that when the game is doing MASSIVE calculations, my my system gets overloaded. Now weather its CPU, GPU, Video memory, or System memory, or a Motherboard pipeline issue, I do not know. I kinda think it is a little of all of them. But if I had to choose 1 fix, I say video card. That's where most all the "gaming" work happens, right?

My next step (before I build a more up-to-date system) is to wipe my hard drive, reinstall XP and all the nessisary drivers, and try the game on a barebones system. Nothing but the game & windows. I will optimize the system tword nothing but Battlefield 2. It won't help, but I am out of "free" ideas!

P.S. I am running a 6 month old Enermax 450 watt power supply. I don't think thats it. But I guess it could be.............. :shrug:

hey. a fellow who has ran into the same problem as me. yes I to agree that it may be all of those things, I sometimes will get thrown to the desktop instead of total reboot. My solution is brand new DFI motherboard and vid and psu. = ) I dont know what I would do if I didnt have the money.

Back