• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cas or no Cas ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flow

I have 3 SDRAM (133) dimm's: two of 256Mb and one of 64 Mb. It was running fine at CAS 3 (would not run at CAS 2). Yesterday I removed the (older) 64Mb dimm, and turned on CAS 2. Now the system is running CAS 2with no problems, but with 64 Mb RAM less. So my question: is the performance gain of CAS 2 worth the loss of 64 Mb (I cannot use it in an other comp, so it's "lost")

any thoughts?

Having 512Megs CAS 2 instead of 578Megs CAS3?
Keep the 512Megs and sell the 64Megs to somebody you need it.
I won't see any difference between the two even with every program that i have open at the same time...

Agreed... I've found it to be best to always stay on a multiple of 128 once you get above 256. 512Mb will do just fine...
Peace
John

The extra speed of the RAM (CAS 2 over CAS 3) will make up for haveing a few less MB

Flow said:
I have 3 SDRAM (133) dimm's: two of 256Mb and one of 64 Mb. It was running fine at CAS 3 (would not run at CAS 2). Yesterday I removed the (older) 64Mb dimm, and turned on CAS 2. Now the system is running CAS 2with no problems, but with 64 Mb RAM less. So my question: is the performance gain of CAS 2 worth the loss of 64 Mb (I cannot use it in an other comp, so it's "lost")

any thoughts?

HE DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get that old mem out and run at CAS2.

Try a couple of benches to test it out.

Rob

Thanks guys!

You known, I think you're right. I'll leave the old 64Mb stick out.
One more problem though. I can overclock the FSB only at 110 MHz at CAS 2, where I could reach 114 MHz before....
Not that it matters but hey, it *is* a difference ;)

Back