• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE better than Firefox?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Firefox has tabbed browsing, exentions, and the ability to completely change the interface around. It works for me in that it does more things that I want than Internet Explorer does...

As for security and bugs... when Firefox misbehaves and crashes, I have an extension that reloads all webpages I was at before the crash. Also, Firefox responds nicely to a kill task, my computer is uneffected, and I just restart Firefox and go on...

IE freezes... a Kill Task GUARANTEES that you will loose your Windows interface, and a restart of that process will mess up the right taskbar icons quite a bit, not to mention that you will loose any open My Computer windows (or alike)... in addition, there is no recalling previous websites without diving into History... It is a PAIN! Need I say more?

Firefox just works for me... that's all it needs to do. I'm not fort knox thus a reasonable amount of security is all I ask. :)

The folks at Symantec aren't exactly security whizzes themselves. I agree with everyone here that Firefox is better and best of all it's not Microsoft.

I use Firefox and have a *lot* fewer hits on the security programs that I use every week or so. My biggest issues are a repeatable problem. When I go to Yahoo, using Sun Java, to play any of the games I end up with problems. The games work fine. I then get a numer of artifacts: 1) Video lockups (forced power cycle), 2) Firefox 'loses' toolbar boookmarks, 3) Netscape email won't load (hangs with white screen), 4) Firefox suggests that I update to the same version that I am running. A reboot resolves issue *after* killing Firefox. Could be a number of things. Worth it in my opinion.

ehhhhh .. im gonna say IE. i have used firefox also. but i like IE better. only time i have problems with it is when im over overclocked. problems can be expected. i think it is still growing and anything they do to it will be an improvement.

i dont know why people hate on microsoft. they are a superior company with everyone in mind. they will ony get better !!

:D

With all of my recent issue with firefox - i say IE in some ways and FF in others. IE 7 should be great though,

Until FF gets their *** in gear and fixes their memory leaks and crappy flash support and PDF support, they arent that great.

Mr.Guvernment said:
With all of my recent issue with firefox - i say IE in some ways and FF in others. IE 7 should be great though,

Until FF gets their *** in gear and fixes their memory leaks and crappy flash support and PDF support, they arent that great.

Well, but Mozilla is an open-source program company, right? So I think what we have currently, i.e. Thunderbird and Firefox, exceeds expectations of a such said company.

welll....memory leak i can deal with, i've noticed firefox doesn't always shut down like it's supposed to, but i'd rater deal with that than all the popups from IE. The last time i reformatted, i was online for less than 15 seconds before i started getting hit with popups. Nothing should be that vulnerable. The only real problem with firefox was that some websites wouldn't always work, but I haven't had a compatability issue in months now.

i get hit with pop up now in firefox, unfortuantyl companies have found ways to get around many blocks

FF is better - i do feel safer browsing with it, but for someone like me who opens a forums has often 10-30 tabs open, the memory leak can be annoying, or if one link is a PDF or a flas page and all my FF windows freeze until it loads :(

Like some of you said I agree with the fact that microsoft isnt terrible and that now that they have some competition they are starting to get their asses in gear, but those of you using IE is their any substitute for all the plugins in FF, as in, do you use any other programs with IE to give them similar functionality to FF without having to switch to something like Opera or Avant?

Mr.Guvernment said:
i get hit with pop up now in firefox, unfortuantyl companies have found ways to get around many blocks

FF is better - i do feel safer browsing with it, but for someone like me who opens a forums has often 10-30 tabs open, the memory leak can be annoying, or if one link is a PDF or a flas page and all my FF windows freeze until it loads :(

Well last time I checked IE still uses more mem than firefox (about 6-15mb per IE instance). Although I have NOT tried the new IE with tabbed browsing, maybe it is better.

The PDF file opening is annoying, but I usually just download them to desktop and open rather than opening it in FF directly.

I am still using Mozilla..Unfortunately the little things I want in a browser have been put in Firefox...such as deleting bookmarks w/a right click..Can't do that in Mozilla, and tha's very useful for me. I have never gotten any popups w/Mozilla..I am sure I will change at some point...just not sur when

Last edited:
i've been using maxthon (formely myie2) for a long time now and i havent had a problem yet. i've had one site that didnt work with it and everything else (including windows update) works with it!

i've never gotten into deep doo-doo by using this browser, probably because i dont go to many of those shady sites that spam u with activexes etc.

Albigger said:
Well last time I checked IE still uses more mem than firefox (about 6-15mb per IE instance). Although I have NOT tried the new IE with tabbed browsing, maybe it is better.

The PDF file opening is annoying, but I usually just download them to desktop and open rather than opening it in FF directly.

The problem with firefox is one you close thsoe tabs - the memory usage does not go down like IE does.

Mr.Guvernment said:
The problem with firefox is one you close thsoe tabs - the memory usage does not go down like IE does.

On my 'newer' windows install firefox.exe closes immediately and mem usage goes down immediately as well.

I know there was a bug or occasionally firefox.exe will stay open (and you'd have to close it through task manager) so then I could see mem still being used. Is that what's happening with you or firefox.exe closes but mem is still used?

Anyway, I should go check out Opera now that banners are gone. I've never used it before.

Internet Explorer is indeed better than Mozilla Firefox.

I have tried Internet Explorer and many variants of Mozilla including Mozilla Firefox.

I think the important thing to consider is that its all a matter of popularity.

Mac users used to be able to stick up their noses about how invulnerable OSX is compared to Windows, but they are becoming victimized by virus authors now too. It just makes sense to try to affect the most users one can with one program rather than concentrate on some niche market product. Firefox is the same way, now that its more popular there is more incentive to find vulnerabilities. I'm sure if Opera catches on too, we'll see the same thing happen to it.

My issue with Firefox is not security but simply bugs in the program.

Ascii2 - Why?

I know there was a bug or occasionally firefox.exe will stay open (and you'd have to close it through task manager) so then I could see mem still being used. Is that what's happening with you or firefox.exe closes but mem is still used?

I only had that once or twice, this was one instance of FF - i have one running, open say 20 tabs,. get done reading them, close them except for one and go on about browsing and ram usage stays up there - the fact that this occured to me on every computers i use / installed FF on shows me it is not my system, but something with-in FF it's self.

I am loving opera!

Back