• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Messed-up iPod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

Right now, I have my friend's iPod at my house because I was going to update it for him because he didn't have a high-speed USB port.

I was trying to update my friend's iPod software, but I didn't realize that I needed to use a high-speed USB port. I was able to click "update," but the update didn't work. I then saw on the iPod an icon of a power adapter being plugged into a power outlet.

When I "reset" (reboot) the iPod, I see sometimes see a large charging battery.

When I tried updating it on a different computer that had a high-speed USB port, I wasn't able to click neither the "update" nor the "restore" button; they were "grayed-out." (I can't think of a better way to say this, but I think you know what I mean.)

I then followed all of the directions I could find on the apple site - "reset" (reboot) the iPod, reinstall iPod Updater and iTunes. I have not yet called Apple, however, because I do not know the date of purchase.

I'm planning on calling Apple, but it would be nice if anyone who has had this problem before could explain how to fix this.

I just read this:
See the power adapter icon?

If you see the power adapter icon on your iPod screen while updating or restoring, you will need to plug it into the iPod power adapter to complete the update or restore.

I don't have a power adapter, but my friend does, so I'll give the iPod back to him tomarrow. I don't understand how the update could have worked, though, because the readme says that you need a high-speed port.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a USB2 device.

It needs to be plugged into a powered USB port in order to charge. USB connectors on your mobo should be powered, front side USB connectors or keyboard USB connectors and the like are often not powered and that is why you would get "plug me in!" icon.

Ipods are very sensitive to being properly connected to their host system. It is likely to cause a need to re-intall the ipod software when you try to sync it on a different system.

Btw, and not to be a wise guy, but if you were "going to update it for him because he didn't have a high-speed USB port.", um... why did you not "realize that I needed to use a high-speed USB port. "??

Just curious..... ;)

Back