• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Typing and the length of fingers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schalldampfer

When you play piano, it's advantageous to have the middle three fingers be about the same length. But since, I am not so (my middle finger is much longer than the surrounding two) I was never able to experience how having uniform fingers felt like. Which carries me on to the question I want to ask: do you people with relatively constant finger length feel comfortable typing? I just found out after getting a new keyboard that I usually miss the characters "e," "d," "c," "i," "k," and ",". And all of these keys line up with the middle finger. Just wondering.

how much longer should your middle finger be than the other two to be considered even size?

I guess if it's shorter than a fingernail's distance, it can be considered even length. For example, one joint of my middle finger almost juts out completely compared to my index finger.

My midde finger is about 1/2 inch longer than my index finger and I never noticed any typing issues. I guess it comes down to how often you used keyboard. The more you use it, the less problem there would be as you'd be unconsiciously adjusting your finger position to hit all the keys.

I do have problem getting , and . right though, I often hit both when I only needed period.

i played piano for 10 years and all three fingers are withing 1/4th an inch to being the same. i also have enormous hands and fingers. to give you an idea, my middle finger measures to 3.5inches and my thumb is 2.25 inches(measuring in between the index finger and the thumb. i'm comfortable with all keyboards except maybe extremely cramped laptop keyboards. those are just too small

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
i played piano for 10 years and all three fingers are withing 1/4th an inch to being the same. i also have enormous hands and fingers. to give you an idea, my middle finger measures to 3.5inches and my thumb is 2.25 inches(measuring in between the index finger and the thumb. i'm comfortable with all keyboards except maybe extremely cramped laptop keyboards. those are just too small

-1cem4n
your finger's aint that huge bro :)
my thumb is 2.75"
u should see some of the guys i know LOL
they're hands are HUGE

Well, I never really thought about it before but I do not think that my finger length is that much of a consideration. I do have a few common errors that I throw myself but looking at my hands, that is not what causes them.

In my case, my index fingers are pinky length and my middle and fourth finges are about the same length as each other. Yet my most common errors appear to be related to a stray pinky on either side. For example, I have a tendency to turn caps lock on when I just want a single shift key (like when typing names).

However, I am firmly convinced that learning music and learning to type are related skills. The consistently fastest typers that I have known are musicians. I know that while I don't think about it whle typing (or playing guitar/keyboard), you can't do one well w/o using the same skills that you neeed for the other. It might be sort of hard to follow if you are not a musician but a three letter word can be a chord and a five letter word can be an arpeggio.

d94 said:
your finger's aint that huge bro :)
my thumb is 2.75"
u should see some of the guys i know LOL
they're hands are HUGE

from the base of my palm to the start of my middle finger, it is 4 inches.

-1cem4n

Back