• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D and X800XT-PE Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morkai

Hi everyone,

i run a K7D Master-L (Bios 1.82) with Dual AMD 1700+XP´s @ 2600+MP´s and had a Radeon 9500 installed. Last week I got myself a Asus X800XT - Platinum Edition (for AGP :cool: ) and tried to install it.

Windows just didnt boot right, got stuck and I had to restart the System and run Windows (XP) in Safe Mode. Problem is: The Catalyst Drivers supplied by Ati (and Asus) use the same resources as the AMD 762 northbrige. I got two E/A conflicts and one memory conflict.

Is there any way to get rid of this "mess"?

AND please, i love my litte dually and i wanted just the best for it (and me :santa: ) so thats why i bought the X800XT.
I´m sorry for my english, but school is long gone now and here in Germany .. . :shrug:

Morkai said:
Hi everyone,

i run a K7D Master-L (Bios 1.82) with Dual AMD 1700+XP´s @ 2600+MP´s and had a Radeon 9500 installed. Last week I got myself a Asus X800XT - Platinum Edition (for AGP :cool: ) and tried to install it.

Windows just didnt boot right, got stuck and I had to restart the System and run Windows (XP) in Safe Mode. Problem is: The Catalyst Drivers supplied by Ati (and Asus) use the same resources as the AMD 762 northbrige. I got two E/A conflicts and one memory conflict.

Is there any way to get rid of this "mess"?

AND please, i love my litte dually and i wanted just the best for it (and me :santa: ) so thats why i bought the X800XT.
I´m sorry for my english, but school is long gone now and here in Germany .. . :shrug:

Sein Englisch ist viel besser als mein Deutch ;)

I'm not sure exactly how to fix this, I'll check my machine at home tonight (I have a K7D) and see if I can see how you can allocate resources. I can't say I've had that problem before :(.

Viel gluck,

David

I´ll reinstall the x800 tonight and post those exact rexources. I forgot to mention, that the Radeon 9500 ran without problems with the same driver, the x800 wont work with.

Do you run a Ati x800 on a K7D? What BIOS version do you use, driver version (ATI) etc. ???

even though it seems strange to you, it´s being spelled "Viel Glück" (good Luck)

Morkai said:
I´ll reinstall the x800 tonight and post those exact rexources. I forgot to mention, that the Radeon 9500 ran without problems with the same driver, the x800 wont work with.

Do you run a Ati x800 on a K7D? What BIOS version do you use, driver version (ATI) etc. ???

even though it seems strange to you, it´s being spelled "Viel Glück" (good Luck)

I use an old geForce 4 Ti4200 ;). I haven't used an ATi card in it.

I would spell it correctly but I can't get umlauts on this PC ;).

First off Welcome to the Fourm

I would remove any add on cards you have installed and then try to see if the issue resolves it self..One important issue is to never use the PCI slot under the AGP slot as this will cause a major resource conflict . .

First off all, the "conflict report" :D

E/A-Bereich 03B0 - 03BB wird verwendet von:

AMD-762 PCI-zu-PCI-Brücke

E/A-Bereich 03C0 - 03DF wird verwendet von:

Speicherbereich 000A0000 - 000BFFFF wird verwendet von:

... even though its in german, it should be understandable (i hope).

Actually, i have a network card installed right below the AGP port. I´ll try removing it tonight.

btw, after almost 3 years my K7D still suprises me :cool:

Last edited:
Actually, i have a network card installed right below the AGP port. I´ll try removing it tonight.

BIG BIG no no on any MPX board ////

What if it's a POWER ISSUE... maybe your power supply can't handle it? I don't know if that can affect the symptoms you're saying, but oh well... I gave it a shot.

ok, here is what i came up with:

After some tinkering with BIOS settings and Windows, I started from the basic.

I put BIOS back to basic default, took out all PCI cards and just installed the X800. The result was :cry: the same. Even a total new installation of WinXP didn´t change a thing for me.

I´ll probably go and hand the card back to the shop i bought it from :bang head

Right now i am pretty disappointed :-/

Just for the notice, my K7D is revision 1.02

g0dM@n said:
What if it's a POWER ISSUE... maybe your power supply can't handle it? I don't know if that can affect the symptoms you're saying, but oh well... I gave it a shot.

Took everything out of the PC, just 2 fans one hdd and the x800 running on the Mobo (+ 2 CPUs). System used 213,3 watts at that time. My Enermax PSU handles those watts easily and stable (sry, don´t know how to say that properly in english).

You're saying everything perfectly in English by the way. Have you checked the +12v rail as you're booting and using the computer? Does it fluctuate much?

If I'm wasting your time, and the PSU is out of the question, then I'm sorry.

12V (as well as 3V and 5V) seem to be stable while running in opened BIOS and Windows mode. Is there a way to measure the voltage during the boot process?

Have you tried to manually configure the resources of the conflicting devices in the device manager? Is there an option in BIOS for PnP resource management? Have you tried yes and no in that BIOS option? Is there any way to free up more resources on the board? Remove devices not used, com ports, printer ports, on board sound...
Just trying to give you some ideas.
Hope it helps,
:welcome: to the forums :cool:

:shrug: I got no clue what to do next. Deactivated everything that was not really necessary (who needs sound, wlan ...) flashed BIOS to 1.91. Used latest drivers, checked PSU (again), checked ram, even brushed my teeth :drool: .

The X800XT just won´t work, seems to me, that my K7D reacts allergic to new graficcards. I thank you all for your help, but I just don´t know what else to do.

I even change BIOS from APCI to Standard PC to configure the resources manually. Alot of work and 2 sheets of paper (and a really mad girlfriend) later, I did like the fifth reinstall of WinXP this week :bang head .
As soon as the feared Catalyst installation happend, PC would boot up and got stuck.

Whats even worth, girlfriends mad at me, I am mad at my PC, my Northbridge is allergic to x800 graficcards ... and did I mention my girlfriend :temper: ..

Thx again, next time questions arise, I´ll be back :cool:

Morkai said:
:shrug: I got no clue what to do next. Deactivated everything that was not really necessary (who needs sound, wlan ...) flashed BIOS to 1.91. Used latest drivers, checked PSU (again), checked ram, even brushed my teeth :drool: .

The X800XT just won´t work, seems to me, that my K7D reacts allergic to new graficcards. I thank you all for your help, but I just don´t know what else to do.

I even change BIOS from APCI to Standard PC to configure the resources manually. Alot of work and 2 sheets of paper (and a really mad girlfriend) later, I did like the fifth reinstall of WinXP this week :bang head .
As soon as the feared Catalyst installation happend, PC would boot up and got stuck.

Whats even worth, girlfriends mad at me, I am mad at my PC, my Northbridge is allergic to x800 graficcards ... and did I mention my girlfriend :temper: ..

Thx again, next time questions arise, I´ll be back :cool:

Well if you want we can trade cards. I'll pay shipping both ways. I'll give you my 9550 for your X800XT.

Shelnutt2 said:
Well if you want we can trade cards. I'll pay shipping both ways. I'll give you my 9550 for your X800XT.
No buying or selling outside the classifieds sir.

jack222 said:
No buying or selling outside the classifieds sir.

I know, it was more of a joke. You think he would really trade me his X800XT for my 9550?

try the omega drivers - maybe they will work differently..

ati unfortunately have a long history of not playing nice with duallys. i'm surprised your old one worked :)

Did you use the catilyst uninstaller? How about just the drivers. How about older drivers? Have you contacted ATI or Asus for support? Man, I feel your pain with the G\F. My wife dosn't get how frustrating it is to try and figure something out either. You know it's just one little thing that is holding you back if you just find it :bang head I don't know how many times she's threatened to go at my rig with a hammer :rolleyes:
Sorry couldn't be of more help.
Good Luck

Back