• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screwed Up USB Key

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BaconTheory

Well, I've done it this time. I have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 256mb thimb drive and I think that I screwed it up for good. A while ago when I reformatted, my USB key was (unknown to me) attached to my computer. To make a long story short, I accidentally formatted my thumb drive using the Windows partition utility. Whoops. Now, when I try to use it, Windows tells me that I need to format the disk, but when I try to do so, it gives me an error message saying that there is a problem and the disk can not be formatted. Did I just screw up my USB key for good or can I (hopefully) save it?

run a chkdsk /r on it first. then try format again.
I'm not sure of the default filesystem XP will use but I would use FAT/FAT32 just in case you need to work on a Windows98/ME machine.

format driveletter /fs:fat32

If those still fails, see if you have a fdisk somewhere and run that within Window, maybe that drive will show up. If it does work, delete the partition (if any), then create a new partition and try formatting again.

Back