• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Thermaltake memory coolers-with fan.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OMG what has the world come to????

Active cooling on DDR sticks????? I thought heatspreaders were excessive, but this just takes the p**s.

Where can you buy this anyway. That would look sweet in my rig :p

No idea when or where to buy them yet as the article did not say and thermaltakes site does not show them yet :(
I will post back when I see them somewhere.

Who cares about effective?
Even passive RAM cooling is pointless.
This is obviously for looks, which isn't a bad thing as long as you know. Looks are important, but don't think that this will solve any non-ego related problems.

if it has any effect at all (doubtful), It will probably be on the memory installed in the other slots, and not the one to which the silly apparatus is attatched to.

Dumg idea to me. A god stick of ram will do its intented speeds on its own. Cooling of any kind on ram never shows any gains that are worth it.

mEKbOY said:
Dumg idea to me. A god stick of ram will do its intented speeds on its own. Cooling of any kind on ram never shows any gains that are worth it.

You are wrong on that issuse.....
Added some extra volts to RAM can help your RAM gain MHz
Extra volts means that it needs to be cooled....
thus cooling helps as you can increse the voltage.

True it may be only 5 MHz more.... but it is still something.

I also beg to differ....
My DDR gets quite hot. (+0.4v)

Addition of the memory cooler did appear to give me a marginal increase in stability from about 165->167FSB.

For $7.00 Is it worth it?

The new Epox 8KHA+ allows +0.8v memory adjustments, now that's REALLY going to get hot......

OK, I thought the passive ones only made a marginal difference, now this is just going for show. I'd love to see a review though.

Yeah I am using the heatspreaders, because i hope to reach 1.8GHz and I am really worried about heat. That looks cool though.

I read a review of this yet another addition to the useless crud that Thermaltake sells. Their "RAM Cooler" reduced the Ram's temp by less than 1C.
Absolutely ridiculous. For the wasted money that one can spend on these useless SDRAM/DDRAM coolers, why not cut a hole in the left case cover right by the Ram? Install a 80-92-120mm fan. Duct it if desired. Ta daah. And it's still a waste of time. Good BASIC airflow works fine to cool the RAM.

Less IS more.

Last edited:
Back