• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do not install Style XP - backdoors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Well,

i decided one day to make my laptop look pretty - and i recall i had previously used StyleXP from TG Soft years back, no adware , no spyware, no .exe installers for themes, from themexp.org (that has all chanegd for the worst)

So i go to their site, download the latest version - i DID NOT download any add-on's from tweakxp.com cause they are filled with adware now. (not like a year ago) and they package their themese with advertisers - at least they admit it.

Anyways, i install Style XP - on a FRESH formated computer - only thing on it is spybot S& D and Kaspersky Anti V personal.

K, so i got Style Xp installed - i use one of the included themes and icons as they suite me just fine.

20 mins later - Kaspersky repells and attempted attack on my system called Halkern?, or something i beleive it was, okay, wtf i am thinking.

Scan my entire computer, nothing found , spybot - nothing found,online scanners, nothing found.

now i am behind a cisco 1700 router, as well as windows firewall on the system,

BAM - again message pops up - diff IP address - this happens about 9 times in one day, so i think, well only thing different about my computer is StyleXP.

I move my connection over to a cable connection that has a netgear $300 router on it which is locked down tighter then a virgins,, well, you know....

and BAM!! got the attempted attack again - so i have now used 2 diff IP's - one a T1 and the other a cable connection(one is 196.* the other 200.*) so no where near close and yet i am getting this attack almost instantly after switching.

uninstall stylexp - attacks stop happening......

Many people on the net seem to defend TGsoft for not having sppyware and ad-ware but this incident has me HIGHLY believing otherwise, so just a warning for those using StyleXP....

it seems the problem is the software getting OUT, and not attacks getting in.
i bet what youre *not* seeing is the software waving the "Here I Am" flag all over the internet, and youre only catching the "okay i see you, lets do this!" as the responce comes in.
no marco, no polo. ya dig?
firewall it before it gets out, and nothing answers back. you can go on with your eye candy like youve allways wanted.
generally, ive tried a few, and hated them, and they sound worse now. cant say i reccomend that sort of thing, but if you want it badly enough:

i reccomend Sygate Personal firewall (free) . should be what you need.

StyleXP isn't very good anyway.

You might as well use a hacked uxtheme.dll instead.

yeah - i had use stylexp before with no problems, seems their "marketing" has changed for the worst.

and your liekly dead on orion since windowx firewall doesnt block out going and our router is so so on the outbound rules.

i just wanted to try somethign new - etting sick of XP's ugly look after 4 years..lol

i actually switches from XP stle to the legacy "classic" style a few months back for that same reason... pretty funny, but for an odd reason it at least *feels* new...

hehe - just something different for sure - this always happened, did with 2000 / 98 - you get to a point you want something new, but dont want to go to Linux or such.

Was planning to buy if worth it, i got the free exteneded trial version.

i know that is not the reason, as all is required is a name / reg key so made me happy i didnt pay for it, cause i would of ended up with this crap in it.

Last edited:
I had planned to purchase the product if it's features were worth the money over the free version (actually abotu 3 licenses) - either way - i am glad i didnt pay for a backdoor trojan into my computer :(

WHYYY did they have to ruin a previosuly great product!!

Back