• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

converting AMD fan searches for mobo to fit specific needs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LkyOldSun

converting AMD fan searches for cheap 478 mobo to fit specific needs

a tangent of this thread

My 3.0 prescott does 3.75 on stock voltage, due to current motherboard limitations, I cannot take it past 250MHz fsb. Also, current motherboard cannot do sata and overclock simultaneously. Therefore it is worthless.
edit: looking for a budget 478 overclocker board that meets the following:

Necessary requirements:
1. at minimum, a mild overclock- at least 250FSB
2. SATA raid and SATA ports that work properly when overclocking
3. stock PASSIVE chipset coolers (silence=WAF*2) Possible to consider zalman replacement
4. not break the bank- I am a college student
edit: IDEAL <$50 < Acceptable <$60 < ouch! <$70

unecessary desireables (in order of preference):
1. ability to go past 250MHz FSB
2. extra sata or extra IDE port -only desireable if they work when
overclocking, else they are useless
3. adjustable Vcore (I don't need much)
4. adjustable ddr voltage (BH5 chips)
5. optical SPDIF out

any suggestions?

thank you for taking a moment to look this over and thank you even more if you post an answer or two.

Last edited:
From the other thread...

SolidxSnake said:
But yeah, get a new heatsink and mobo (get an i875 mobo, like the ABit IC7, or the Asus P4C800).

I have to agree with Snake, those are the two best socket 478 mobos for the Prescott. I personally have a IC7-G and feel this has the best power circuitry and less voltage droop, so it's the better choice. Both have AGP/PCI locks and both are good overclockers.

I looked into those boards, and, although I agree they are the best 478 boards, unfortunately they cost too much for my budget.
IDEAL <$50 < Acceptable <$60 < ouch! <$70

I was thinking more along the lines of this
I've heard it meets all my requirements, but barely any of my desirebables. Although I can do without the desireables, if I can find another board in the same price range that has some desireables, then great :)

That motherboard you just provided a link to is just like the other... crap VIA chipset with no PCI lock. Sheesh. The motherboard is the heart of your system, don't cheap out here or you'll regret it (as you should of already learned).

Here is the cheapest motherboard I can recommend from newegg. Maybe you can find a good deal on an Abit IC7 from eBay?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131484R

Back