• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Browser - Is IE old skool or what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter
Who else thinks IE is old skool?

Just tried Opera(free) again after a long absense. FF was my favorite but Opera
is my default browser now. Browsing is much more pleasurable than with IE.

^^QFT :p

I understands what he means, more user friendly, easier to navigate, easier to deal with, I like opera because it has mouse gestures and tabbed browsing, mouse gestures are availalbe for FF but you have to download an extra plugin.

9mmCensor said:
What does that mean?
I always thought it meant "quoted for truth"

Anyways, I've pretty much always used IE. I had firefox for a while but there were a few sites that it didn't like. However, I've given it to my grandparents and they like it :)

Oldschool is NCSA Mosaic. IE is just a cheap and shoddy knockoff. I really don't get why people use it, it's such a lousy browser. Personally, I use firefox and epiphany. Opera may now be a good contender since going free. Dillo is the fastest browser ever made, by a landslide, but is still in development and doesn't render some pages well. Still, dillo on my P133 laptop is faster than any other browser on my athlon 3200 XP desktop.

MRD said:
Still, dillo on my P133 laptop is faster than any other browser on my athlon 3200 XP desktop.
What about lynx? :p

But seriously, I bet I know why people use IE: It is all they know, and they are not willing to try something new and "different."

It will be interesting to see how Opera is now that they've released it for free. I have not tried it in a long long time but I am sure I will install it soon and give it a test run myself.

TheGreySpectre said:
^^QFT :p

I understands what he means, more user friendly, easier to navigate, easier to deal with, I like opera because it has mouse gestures and tabbed browsing, mouse gestures are availalbe for FF but you have to download an extra plugin.
^_^ ... exactly. More customizable to suit your tastes. And I like using a
couple quick mouse clicks more than having to move my cursor over a toolbar
button or R.click pop-up.
One feature I really like about Opera is how you can set it to reload ALL your
tabs back where you were in your last browsing session. :)

Why do people use IE? As khiloa said, it's all they know - just click the big blue "E" on their desktop.
Plus, some are under the impression since IE came with Windoze it's more stable and secure. :-/

The following problem exists if you use Opera:

Some web sites think that the browser is older than Internet Explorer 5 and Netscape 6!!!

RJARRRPCGP said:
The following problem exists if you use Opera:

Some web sites think that the browser is older than Internet Explorer 5 and Netscape 6!!!

If you're referring to a yahoo site (I got that error when I first went to opera) there are workarounds.

A pain - yes. Opera's fault - no.

Back