• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4N Diamond issues - Install and BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittleMike

Hey gang. I'm ready to take my P4N and throw it out the window at this point. A few days ago, I got Windows XP Pro up and running after what I hear is the usual hanging on reboot issues, etc, but it was working. I tried to plug in a spare IDE drive to dump data off of onto the new RAID and then I started having issues. The RAID BIOS stopped seeing one of the drives and told me the RAID was degraded. So I ran some tests, and it looked like one of the drives was defective. I RMA'd it, installed the replacement yesterday. Redid the array from scratch just to be safe. I go to install Windows, it was BSOD'ing left and right DURING THE FORMAT! Kept on yelling at me about the nvraid.sys file. (Not nvraid.sys not found, but different error). In either case, I updated the BIOS from 1.3 to 1.4, downloaded the latest NVRaid drivers from the MSI site (5.10) which is actually the same that came with my board. Okay, so then I go to format again and it actually goes through with the format. I go to start up the Windows install, everything seems fine. I get to the Windows installation screen (where it has the time remaining on the bottom left) and at this point it was late, so I went to bed. I wake up this morning and the machine is on "Detecting array..." and is locked up. So I manually reboot, it gets back to the detecting array part (which, by the way takes FOREVER), and then it reports it's healthy and goes to start Windows. Then it stops and I get the windows boot options menu (Last known good configuration, etc.). So I choose Start Windows Normally, and BSOD, reboot. Too fast to even see what the stop code is. It gets back up to that screen and I try every mode, same result. It just BSOD's and then reboots endlessly. I'm at my wit's end on this one. I am seriously considering RMA'ing this stupid board and buying the ASUS. Anyone have any ideas what's happening? The RAID is on the NVidia SATA controllers, not the SI ones (I had read the SI ones are not bootable, so I used the nForce ones). I really don't know what to do anymore. I've had this machine together for almost a week and I can't get it running.

Specs on the machine:
P4 650 (3.4Ghz)
2g Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667
MSI P4N Diamond
4x Maxtor 300g 16m buffer SATA HD's
eVGA 7800GT
Sparkle/Forton 550w PSU
Sony DRU 530 DVD-R

Back