• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm stuck.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barret

My specs:
Abit IC7 Max3 Motherboard, 3Ghz HT P4, 1GB (2x512) Corsair Mem, 120GB Western Digital SATA HD, Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro, Thermaltake 480 Watt PSU..Need anything else, I'll be checking this throughout the day tommorow

Here is the problem:
My computer is restarting, but it isn't random. I can do whatever I want, as long as I don't go online (I shouldn't say that, I can do a google search..But pretty much any site bigger than google triggers it). I looked in my system log, and what happens right before the system restarts, is my computer establishes a 100mps full duplex connection...I think I know what is happening, its a power saving feature in the BIOS...ACPI. It's being triggered, and I don't know why the internet would do that. I think its ACPI, because when I switch it to suspend to RAM it locks up rather than restarts...There is no option to turn it off

Here is all that I have tried:
-Tried a different PSU (Just in case)
-Ran Memtest for 12 hours with no errors (Just to rule it out)
-Made sure Wake on LAN was disabled (and then checked to make sure wake on everything was)
-Disabled my onboard LAN, and swapped in a PCI card
-Clearing the CMOS
-Tried connecting directly to the router
-Scanned repeatedly with Avast Anti-virus (At one point it did catch a virus that would cause restarts, but it hasn't since), Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware
-Tried a system restore going WAY back to a point where it was fine
-Screamed and pulled my hair out thinking of other things to try

If you have ANY idea as to what else it could be, I'd appreciate it..
-Barret

Last edited:
I think I may have stumbled across the problem, the Avast anti-virus logs showed some errors...With the on access scanner. It was said to be an "Internal error"...I figure it was worth a shot, I've tried everything else...I disable the on access scanner, and it works fine...I've re-installed Avast, and its doing a boot scan... Anyone know why it would suddenly just develop an error? Please post opinions, I value everything this community has to offer

Back