• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboard that isn't going to break on me, (with clicky keys)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimbob7

Hey, over the past few years i've been looking for a keyboard that isn't going to break on me from a lot of use etc. This is one things i'm looking for, something that isn't going to break, in 4 months, by this i mean dead keys etc. Secondly, I really dislike how new keyboard keys, feel as though they have putty or something under them, they don't click, I want me keys to click :p.

I've been a big fan of the older Cherry compact space saver keyboard, but this one has just broke, JKL keys are no longer working. :(

I've found this:
http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/office/classic-line_g80-3000.htm

keyboard, it's also by Cherry, it's supposedly ment for a lot of use etc. Plus it has three versions of the keyboard, one being clicky keys. The problem is it's 50 pound, which is a lot for a keyboard.

I don't needed programable keys or anything like that, just a standard layout keyboard is all I need, infact, windows keys I can live without.

I've tried getting an old industrial keyboard off ebay, but most of them are American auctions and I just get robbed on postage. Most of the UK auctions have very little old style keyboards.

If anyone can suggest a keyboard that, they think i'll like then please tell me, if not i'll shell out the 50 pound, and hope it lasts for years to come.

Also, it would be nice to see if anyone out there feels the same as I do about older style keyboards. :D

Thanks

Scott. :)

try the BenQ keyboards. They are cheap, and they have that old IBM Click feel that I love. I agree with you, these new keyboards, in their quest to be all silent and the like, have zero response feedback feel to them. I found one dell at work that clicked like crazy, I'm going to snag it one day and replace it with the one at my desk. It's only in a training room so no one will care.

Know Nuttin, which BenQ would you suggest?

9mm, as I was searching the forum I came across those IBM's, but even then for me to get one here in the UK it's going to cost me a good 40 pound. Although, I think it maybe worth it, they seems rather nice.

BTW, my reason for not using the pound sign is purely the fact that it doesn't work. Heh.

Thanks

Jimbob7 said:
Know Nuttin, which BenQ would you suggest?

9mm, as I was searching the forum I came across those IBM's, but even then for me to get one here in the UK it's going to cost me a good 40 pound. Although, I think it maybe worth it, they seems rather nice.

BTW, my reason for not using the pound sign is purely the fact that it doesn't work. Heh.

Thanks

Try EBay UK, and see if you can find a cheap one second hand.

These also use the same tech. And are ^*$(ing beautiful. http://matias.ca/tactilepro/index.php

Yeh the logitech is rather nice, i dislike the bulky keys though, ctrl shift etc, they aren't the greatest. It's a shame otherwise it would be a great keyboard, and not that pricey.

Thanks

Scott.

Edit,

9mm we posted at the same time almost. Yeh i checked ebay, theres one if the UK one day left starting bid 30 pound plus 8pounds postage :/. Doesn't give me much time to think about. I'll give the guy an email, if it doesnt sell if i can make him an offer or keep hold of it for a while.

Thanks

Scott.

Last edited:
The Tactile Pro, looks great, although as always apple have made something look nice, but how well does it perform? I'll check some reviews it looks promising though.

I wasn't expecting many replies from a topic like this, I was just off to bed heh.

Scott.

I've found a very nice site if anyone is intrested. All about the IBM keyboards, maintaining them etc.

http://www.preater.com/modelm/

has many links on it as well about what to look for when buying second hand keyboards etc.

Just thought i'd share that.

Scott.

heh if you want a keyboard which does the clickity clack thing...heck there IS NOT substitute. Those IBM's are so clickity clackity they'll wake people up in different rooms of the house (happened with my cousin who'd stay up all night and anoy the hell out of his brother...just imagine a proficient typer on a MUD all night long....that's a lot of clickity clackin).

I also vote for the Model M. I keep the one I had from my IBM PS/2 Model 50 Z in the closet because it's a rock solid keyboard! I was able to buy mine from the thrift store for $2.99, and they have a detachable cable if you get one of the later models. I couldn't tell you how many times I"ve dropped it and it works like new. No cracks in the case either.

Thanks guys. I really do think the IBM is for me.

Those Deck keyboards are nice, but oh so pricey. It's a shame I think they'd get a lot of interest, or more if they didn't cost so much :eek:

Scott.

Silversinksam said:
Yup, those old IBM's are rock solid, but hard to find.

It's me, I'm hoarding them :D

Been trying to give a wireless desktop kit I got as a gift a "decent go" but after 2 months, the lettering is worn off half the keys, I still can't type very fast on it without errors and some of the keys are starting to get sticky. So I'm going back to "old faithful" pretty soon.

I've got 6 of them but two are in need of a rebuild and my wife claimed one. I guess I had better not divorce her or else she'll want another one in the settlement :D

Road Warrior

Back