• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Feels good to streamline XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

I just used the Blackviper guide and it's so fun to use the computer after turning the unnecessary services off. This is a P3 850mhz, 256ram laptop and if it weren't for the 4200rpm drive this thing would be flying :) Well it's still amazing considering the drive speed.

I know I could tweak it a lot more but this is good enough for me. I'm just wondering if there's a way to turn off the LAN connection icon in the tray.

What a huge waste of time. If a service is not being used it will use no CPU time and memory will be reclaimed as needed. Also Blackvipers site is filled with terrible advice and false information. Actually every "tweak" guide is. I bet you did other stupid things like disabled the pagefile, right?

What a huge waste of time. If a service is not being used it will use no CPU time and memory will be reclaimed as needed. Also Blackvipers site is filled with terrible advice and false information. Actually every "tweak" guide is. I bet you did other stupid things like disabled the pagefile, right?

really, and svchost doesn't use any memory, or how about spoolsv? They all use memory and cpu time.

violineb said:
I know I could tweak it a lot more but this is good enough for me. I'm just wondering if there's a way to turn off the LAN connection icon in the tray.

Just go to Network connections|properties..

You can then get rid of it in your tray. Nice tweak. :D

untitled18mt.gif

dicecca112 said:
really, and svchost doesn't use any memory, or how about spoolsv? They all use memory and cpu time.

(sorry for the double post)
I would also like to add...

I dont use a printer, wireless and portable media. I should just leave this stuff on? Bah, some of the guides do suck, but some do give insight to get a machine to a users needs. Without knowing the enviroment the machine is operating in. Saying to leave redundant services on is as invalid as the claims that tweaking does nothing. I remember pre-SP2, the messenger was left on. Most the tweak guides mentioned to turn it off. They also mentioned it was not a risk per-sey, but a nuisance. You get what you can out of sites, if you get nothing then nothing lost.

Saying someone did something stupid without merit is rather harsh. It is not contributing in a positive manner.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Opinion or not. The results are certainly there, and on a laptop with these specs you better know hpw to tweak it or it'll run like absolute crap.

It's impossible for the BV guide to cover everything and get everything right but it does a fine job of explaining processes to you so that you can make your own decissions. That's what your brain is for. ;)

Something as simple as turing off themes does miracles.

Oh and the network tray icon, unchecking it didn't work but I figure out that I just needed to right click on the icon in Network Prop. and disable the LAN and it disappeared.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm glad it worked for you.

Too bad you didn't do any sort of benchmarks before applying these tweaks, as it would have been hard evidence (rather than just 'it feels faster') against Fresh Daemon's findings here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=410234

Anyway, of course Microsoft made the OS as general as possible, so it certainly makes sense that some services won't be necessary for some people and therefore performance may be gained by disabling them.

on a low memory system, such tweaks that get rid of uneeded services are a godsend.

When benchmarking, it may not be much, but even a 1% boost due to less memory bandwidth being taken can mean as much as 100-200 3dMarks.

Others such as myself Fold or do BOINC. For us, more memory bandwidth is king. The less TSR's we have sittin' in RAM, the more memory bandwidth we have available to give to what we are Folding/Crunching.

Back