• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which motherboard do i need? plz help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alathary

hello

i'm a newbie, i have a 2.4 ghz intel processor, and i wish to buy an asus motherboard to it,
so my question,which motherboard will work great with my processor,
i heard that the 533 is good
what u think?

thank u!!!
Edit/Delete Message

Welcome to the Forums! :welcome:

Not sure what 2.4Ghz chip you have, but I'll guess it's a northwood. depending on your budget, you can get:

High budget-
Asus
Abit
DFI

Mid budget-
Msi
Gigabyte

Low budget-
ECS
Aopen

Take a look on newegg here and see what they have in your price range.

thank you for ur fast reply

i'm searching for an asus motherboard, and i have a pentium 4 2.4 ghz intel,maybe it's northwind,
so which model of asus motherboards you advise me to buy,so it work good with it...

What code is on your 2.4 ... i have a cpl of 2.4c's I bought used (see my sig)which overclock nicely and on cheap mem at 5:4.

Here is a link http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/index.htm to the intel site where you can look up your cpu specs.

I don't know all the 2.4 flavours but mine both are hyperthreaded and support 800 FSB. If yours is the same and you want to overclock, then i suggest abit or asus ... my pref is abit for oc. Make sure the mobo supports both HT and 800 fsb is that is what your cpu runs.

I have only bought 2 new mobos .. the rest all came in used cpu/mobo deals.

Also, you will be looking for the right socket type - 478 for northwood, or lga775 (also called socket T) if it is prescott (not sure if there is a 2.4 prescott - i doubt it)

The intel site will help you with your processor id so start there.

Back