• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bye-bye overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

Well pretty soon I'll be putting my Big Typhoon, and Mach I up for sale, and possibly my 3200+ and DFI Ultra-D if anyone thinks they can be saved, or wants to bother with them.

Ive had too many problems with the prommie, and too many mounting issues with the BT, coupled with stability problems, random reboots, condensation, etc with the prommie.

I'm pretty sure my 3200+ and ultra-d are FUBAR. I put silicon adhesive sealant in the CPU socket (bad call... wrong type of silicon) and opened up my bracket / chamber, whatever, and found it full of ice.

I spent 15 mins fixing a flattened CPU pin (not a f-ing clue how that happened) to play BF2 for 15 mins before the system locked, never to boot up again (everything was at stock, even tried the stock HSF to no avail).

I ordered a 3800+ from ZZF and a refurb AN8-SLI nF4 from the egg, and I'm once again saying adieu to OCing.

I know it was my fault with the prommie, but I just dont have the patience (nor the funding) to keep messing with it, while it messes up my parts. I need my computer to do just that - compute! I saw no noticable differences while OC'd (except for the fact that I could actually use my computer) as opposed to non-OC'd... so I can't justify phase-change cooling a stock CPU; it just doesn't make any sense.

:bang head :bang head

Time for some :beer: .

Anyone have any comments about the 3800+ or the AN8-SLI? I got the mobo for $102 shipped, proc was about $357.

I'm sure I'll be on here when they come troubleshooting for a few hours before I finally get my system up...

its an x2

when i play bf2, i have all my xfire, temp monitoring, etc windows on my other monitor and like to be able to swap back and forth quickly.

koontz946 said:
its an x2

when i play bf2, i have all my xfire, temp monitoring, etc windows on my other monitor and like to be able to swap back and forth quickly.
You will love the X2. I haven't overclocked mine at all yet, but right now I feel no need. Its plenty fast and I don't have the time right now. One day I will see howfar it will go with something close to stock voltage.

Vulcan said:
You will love the X2. I haven't overclocked mine at all yet, but right now I feel no need. Its plenty fast and I don't have the time right now. One day I will see howfar it will go with something close to stock voltage.

i plan on running it BARELY over stock settings, while still using the stock HSF

i was happy enough with my 3200+ running stock settings, that i think with an extra core i should be plenty happy

Come to Intel. They overclock rock stable on simple air cooling. The new socket LGA775 has no CPU pins to mess up.

heh you mean come BACK to intel?

i loved my 2.4C... ran that thing to 3.5 when i was WC'ing

in retrospect i probably should have gone with intel, because this system hasnt proved to be very inexpensive :bang head

I feel your pain. I luv my P4 runnin 4.2Ghz phased. Decided to try my luck with AMD. What a mistake that is. After 3 boards, different ram and cpu's, I'm very disapointed with this junk. Right now using this pos A64 as a back up till i finish my moving. I have my P4 packed up so I have no choice but to use this crap. Soon as I get settled in my new apartment this hunk of junk will be on the chopping block. For those that want to know what it is:

Abit AN8 Ultra
3200+ Winchester
1GB kit of PQI PC3200
WD 80GB
Antec Neopower 480

I have no clue why this dam board will refuse to boot with my mushy BH5, but it will run with crap Pqi :rolleyes:

I had my fun back in the Tbred B and Barton days and went Intel. Decided to get my feet wet with Pci-e and was gonna make the jump to SLI. AFter what i went thru I'm just gonna drop the AMD crap and stick to intel. Not 1 single problem ever with my P4's.

Hope you get your problems sorted out koontz

I have a 3.0c @ 3.5 on a P4C800-E deluxe and I'm getting rid of it for AMD because they do so much better in gaming. I'm primarily a gamer so the performance increase is well worth it.

koontz946 said:
what is the technical name / model for intel dual cores?

pentium D. although if you're serious about coming over to intel i'd get a 6x series cpu, oc the hell out of that thing, then when the next-gen pentiums come out upgrade to one of those.

heh im not considering coming over to intel (yet) but i do like to know what im talking about when advising other people as to what systems to put together.

thanks, btw

Back