• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Freezing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Syaorankun

Hi, i have this really wacked up problem.. my computer likes to randomly freeze sometimes.... i'll be playing WoW and the screen freezes then blacks out then when it comes back its all distorted... and i get the bad sound through my speakers.. cycling my computer solves the problem.. but yea it gets kinda annoying... i can play day of defeat (HL1) fine... but its only wow.... computer specs are as follows....

socket 478 P4 3.0ghz E (prescott) @ 3.3ghz
asus p4c800E-deluxe (bios 1019)
Corsair ddr400 512 mb
Munshikin ddr433 512 mb (currently running ddr400)
ATi X850PRO 256mb (pipeline flashed)
(2) seagate barracudas 7200.7rpms 80gb SATA Raid-0(strip)
audigy 2 ZS
windows xp pro sp2
maxtor 200 gb hd
seagate barracuda 200gb
liteon dvd/cdrw

temps on the cpu are fine i think.. mbm5 says that the temps are 42 idle 47 load i've even installed a pci exhaust thinking the video temps were to high but that didnt work...

might be good to say that i use a dual-screen setup. if anyone can figure out why or how.. much would be abliged.. i've tried to reformat with a clean install of windows XP pro sp2.. and XP pro sp1~manual sp2 update and both still messed up... i've tried many different drivers for the video.. i've tried catayst 4.9s and the 5.7s and the 5.8s... i've even tried the omega 5.7s and 5.8s with no luck... i'm like pinned to a wall here... help please... :bang head

i've even heard a rumor going around saying the asus sata cables are bad and replaced those.. no luck..... /cry... thanks and /bow help!

Syaoran

Syaorankun said:
Hi, i have this really wacked up problem.. my computer likes to randomly freeze sometimes.... i'll be playing WoW and the screen freezes then blacks out then when it comes back its all distorted... and i get the bad sound through my speakers.

This i'm sure is your graphics card, i always get this when testing my card overclocked when i've gone to high for it. I'd also check the temps of the card when in game.

Scott.

Yeah, usually when it blacks out and changes resolution or something, it's the video card's fault

and i get the bad sound through my speakers
What exactly does it sound like? There is a known issue with the Creative Audigy drivers, I believe the EAX drivers, causing random lock-ups followed by a high-pitched squeal. Does WoW utilize the EAX drivers? If so, I highly suspect it might be your problem.

However, I recommend that you first return your video card to stock settings as others have suggested. When I first set up my A64 system, I was getting these types of lock-ups occassionally. I returned my video card to stock settings and I haven't had a lock-up since. It's strange, because this card OC'd just fine on my AXP system.

well my card is at stock speeds... i just opened the pipelines. i dont know if that will make a big difference... i have tried with the oC off and it still does the same thing.. the EAX drivers.. i'm not sure.. i'm sure WoW uses some kinda 3d displacement setting.... so i think EAX is used... its not really a high pitched wine.. its more like hEEp.. heeP *on / off * stuff like that...

but if it is the video card then i'll just flash it back to the normal 12 pipelines i guess. thanks for the help !

Syaoran

PS how would i go about testing temps for my vid card? do i go buy a temp reader? or are there built in diodes that monitor it?
thanks

Back