• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista -- WHEN ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i heard that it will be end of 2k6, a friend is currently testing Vista Beta 2... ill see if i cant get some screenies posted... he has lots of good things to say about it.

wow thats a long ways away. im prolly gonna have to buy x64 now. Im suprised to see that nvidia already has vista drivers, and ibm/ati is advertising a vista ready laptop.

The day before the apocalypse. The Vista ready laptop is false advetizing. No one is sure what Vista will require yet. Alot can change with the program between now and 07.

ahh screw it who said early 2006 and then? just cause my pc is messing up i wanted to wait for vista and than format.. no will have to format and put something else on it :(

Jimbob7 said:
What will these be? Got a link? :)

Scott.

- Windows Vista Starter Edition (cheapest version, max three progs running at the same time, only one that's 32 bit, aimed at 3rd world countries)
- Windows Vista Home (compare with XP home)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (combine Home and MCE)
- Windows Vista Professional (compare with XP professional)
- Windows Vista Small Business Edition (compare with XP professional)
- Windows Vista Enterprise Edition (compare with server 2k3)
- Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (compare with server 2k3)

z0n3 said:
The day before the apocalypse. The Vista ready laptop is false advetizing. No one is sure what Vista will require yet. Alot can change with the program between now and 07.

I'm sure Microsoft said that the LDDM (I forgot the new name for it) was completed? Well, atleast enough for people to make proper drivers..

White Runner said:
i heard that it will be end of 2k6, a friend is currently testing Vista Beta 2... ill see if i cant get some screenies posted... he has lots of good things to say about it.
When was beta 2 released already?

yes late 2006 is from what i have been gathering from google news. of course it changes now and then but im sure microsoft will be ready to release it by then. they can always release a few service packs :D

just curious to see the new disk features along with the interface. hopefully it will be some cool new stuff !!

They've been doing a pre-release thingy for microsoft parteners for the last couple of months. The one here in Montreal is scheduled for the 29th of this months, but i won't be able to go to it. I think one of my techs is going to be going. Think he's going just for the private screening of "A Sound of Thunder", that they're supposed to be showing afterwards and all the handout crap they give you at these things. I'll see if he actually retains anything they say when he gets back.

Vista Starter Edition? 3 Programs running max? What exactly does that mean? So you open your windows folder, get AIM Running and start realplayer and then u try and open my computer and it says "Maximum Programs reach, please click here to upgrade your package" ? or something lol?

I bet somebody will crack that somehow :-/

thegrouch said:
simple, when is vista coming out. i hope within the next 179 days, because thats when my trial version of 64 bit expires.
Sometime between now and time t = plus infinity.

In all honesty, I think Microsoft stopped calling it "Windows year" because of delays and setbacks. (And Win95 = MacOS '84.)

ps2cho said:
someone will crack that
Or the quote-on-quote 'intended market' will extend the binary four at Microsoft and point Internet Explorer at www.linux.org.

With regard to the editions...Starter Edition might as well be ripoff edition. It's almost criminal to sell an OS in today's day and age that is so deliberately crippled. "Sorry, you have three applications running...insert $50 to continue." Does anyone see a problem with that? With computers built with features that streamline multitasking, limiting the amount of applications operating at one time is roughly analogous to saying "If you have 2048M of memory, we're only going to allow you to use 512M of it, unless you insert $50."

Captain Newbie said:
With regard to the editions...Starter Edition might as well be ripoff edition. It's almost criminal to sell an OS in today's day and age that is so deliberately crippled. "Sorry, you have three applications running...insert $50 to continue." Does anyone see a problem with that? With computers built with features that streamline multitasking, limiting the amount of applications operating at one time is roughly analogous to saying "If you have 2048M of memory, we're only going to allow you to use 512M of it, unless you insert $50."

Starter edition will not be available in our countries. It is aimed for use in developing countries, to stimulate PC usage. It is by no means meant for any advanced user.

Back