• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Problems: Hardware??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rebourne

Okay, here is the primer, I have had this computer for about 5 years and then a couple of weeks ago there was a power surge and something must have happened ( even though I have a surge protector) because I started to get spontaneous restarts after 10-15 hours of use. That went on for about a week and during that time I tested a few things and all came up negative.

1) viruses/spyware crap.
2) Bad video drivers or Direct X.
3) Swapped out the memory module for a different one.
4) Went over the hardrive for errors.

So about 2 days ago one of the "crashes" happened but this time it didn't shut down, the monitor just went dormant and the music I was playing in WinAmp started stuttering until it stopped and the cpu light stopped blinking. Then when I went to start it up the computer powered up but still no display and the CPU light only blinked for 10 seconds at most before it stopped, when it usually blinks for a good minute when windows starts up. So I shut the power off from the power supply switch and went to bed the next day I went to try it and it booted up fine I got to windows and then after an hour or so it crashed again. So I did the turn power off and wait thing again and sometimes I can get to windows for a while and sometimes it shuts off right at the initial bios information screen, it seems totally random.

Oh I took it apart and checked all the power plugs and looked around for something odd and couldn't find anything.

Can any one offer any advice on what is wrong with it or something? My guess is the motherboard or the processor, but I am dumb about these things so I have no clue LOL :p ... Thanks in advance :).

millhouse said:
Surge protectors dont always work.

:welcome: to the forums! :welcome:

LOL two computers later I realize that very well haha... :p

and thanks, glad to be here :)

With older systems that start acting flaky it's always a good idea to have a very close look at the capacitors on the motherboard. They often spring leaks, or bulge. This means they are not working properly, and replacement of all of them is recommended if you want to keep the system a while.

If that's not the issue, it might be worth trying a different PSU, because that's the most likely victim if the power surge was an issue.

regards,

Road Warrior

Rebourne said:
LOL two computers later I realize that very well haha... :p

and thanks, glad to be here :)

Wow mothernature has taken two of your computers? geez... you must get alot of storms.

millhouse said:
Wow mothernature has taken two of your computers? geez... you must get alot of storms.

LOL yeah... well pretty much just the power supllies :p.

Thanks for your guys help :). I ordered a new proc, memory, MB, and power supply so that should cover all the bases.

Anyone have a good link for instaling a processor? I've never had to do that before.

About 5 years sounds about right for those dreaded cap issue. On around the year 2000, Taiwan facories were using stolen yet incomplete plan for caps but because the formula instruction was incomplete, the solution wasn't done right and as a result the cap dried out prematurely. Their obvious call sign are buldging cap, odd coloration on and around the caps, and intermitty function. Many power supplies, motherboards, and other low cost electronics failed this way.

If you bought a cheap power supply or used one that came with cheap computer, chances are your PSU is toast. Get a new (preferably decent one) and move on. If that still doesn't work, your mobo probably also bit the dust.

Back