• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Backup Utility Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxoverclocker

ive never had too much trouble with the backup program that comes with windows but just recently (30 min ago lol) i have been unable to back any of my data up. i do a weekly backup and havn't made any significant changes to my knowledge to my computer. here is the error.

backup17zm.gif

backup29hj.gif

I've restarted 5 times and run antispyware proggys, and still no go. it does the error whether i select 'system state' or not.

anybody got any ideas? thx

advise running microsoft update for any updates available.
run checkdisk on all drives
defrag hard drives when completed and re-boot

Xtreme Barton said:
advise running microsoft update for any updates available.
run checkdisk on all drives
defrag hard drives when completed and re-boot

gah still no go, im all updated and checkdisk didn't find any errors, the hdd's r completely defragged and im all out of ideas... anyone?

i see that you get to select what you want to backup ..

can you select one by one and see if a certain folder is holding you back ..

Xtreme Barton said:
i see that you get to select what you want to backup ..

can you select one by one and see if a certain folder is holding you back ..

nope if i select one file or the whole drive it still has problems with 'shadow copy' but it doesn't matter as much now because i got another backup utility thats a hell of alot better, but i still don't know why i had this problem on my computer because all the others on the network are fine... oh well thanks for your help! :)

maxxoverclocker said:
nope if i select one file or the whole drive it still has problems with 'shadow copy' but it doesn't matter as much now because i got another backup utility thats a hell of alot better, but i still don't know why i had this problem on my computer because all the others on the network are fine... oh well thanks for your help! :)

mind sharing the backup software you're using now? Just FYI for the rest of us, if its a good program.

Do you have the Volume Shadow Copy service disabled? If so, re-enabling it should fix the problem. Also, IIRC you should be able to tell Backup in the advanced propperties somewhere to not use Volume Shadow Copy, which would probably fix the error also.

JigPu

I tried enabling the service and still no go, even when its enabled the backup fails. The backup proggy im using now is godlike in comparison to the standard. Its Genie Backup Manager 6.0 Pro, 69.95 if you order off their site, im using the trial right now and i don't need all of the features this thing has, they also have a home version which if my dad didn't need the pro i would probably go with the home. i believe its 49.95 off their site. hope that helps

http://www.genie-soft.com/store/gbmpro.html

http://www.genie-soft.com/store/gbm.html

Back