• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC No Post???????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdextreme

Registered
Hello all, I am a PC technician for a company and got a call that one of their PCs were down, so i went to get it and checked the power to it, all good going to the power supply and out of the power supply to the mobo, press start nothing happens no fans, nothing, so i put in another psu for the heck of it, still nothing, isolated everything but the mobo from the case, still nothing, ok so i leave it alone for a bit, and when i come back i took the psu connection to the mobo out and plugged back in and it starts, but now no post just the fans spinning, hooked everything back up still the same, weird, i say ok, at least i have the fans running now, lol,,,so i pull the battery to the mobo, since i cant seem to find the jumper for the bios, still nothing, then i pull the plug out of the power supply, and plug it back in, back to the original problem, nothing at all, no lights fan, etc..so while the power cord is in the PSU i pull the psu mobo connection and plug back in being this supplies 5.0 volts for the signal to be sent to the psu, so boom starts again with the fans only, very weird, starting to think it is a motherboard, the specs are HP Pavilion with an Athlon 64, 3300+ 754 socket Asus K8S-LA mobo, 512 ram, anyone have any additional ideas,,,,sincerely, confused, lol........ :shrug:

how long do you have until you have to have it back ?

what psu are you using ? have you checked for beep codes (not sure if it will have them).. try removing ram and see if it gives beep codes..

i would personally remove everything from case and try it on a table..

do you have another system you can check cpu in ??

my guess is its the mobo. but go through steps to ensure.. the should be a cmos clear jumper look closely by battery.

well i am shooting for monday, i put back the old psu and it didnt work at all, installed the spare and the same as before, just the fans, no beep codes, moved the mem around from the dimm slots, isolated the mobo, still nothing,,i think it may very well be the mobo, weird thing i noticed is when i do shut it off, the fan in the psu is still running, weird very weird.....

well can you tell them you need to order a new mobo and psu ?

or will they just want a mobo? maybe you can tell them that the cheap psu in the board is likely to blame.

but without testing the cpu also you may find yourself getting the wrong part !!
do you have a local shop you can have the cpu tested at ? i think that would be a great idea !!

its a micro atx board i assume ?

hey all, thanks for the info. well i wound up researching and found it under warranty so dropped it off and all is good now,,,, :)

Were there any power problems in that area? A spike may have damaged the motherboard. I just noticed that my system sometimes refuses to even turn on when there's a power fluctuation problem. That occured today. When that occurs, I'm required to unplug the power cord from the power supply until it discharges then plug the power cord back in to turn on my PC. That's with my Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and Antec True 430 power supply.

actually we have more power problems because of all the recent hurricanes here in florida, im actually surprised i am not getting as many calls as i thought i would,,,and yes i do believe it is the mobo,,we shall see, i will know tomorrow..... :bang head

Back