• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonkeyPipeBomb

I wish i could afford to not ask that question.

I've got myself some cash from the bank to buy my new machine (just over £2K) and I'm stuck as to the subject of overclocking. I really want to try it, but the PC I have specced up with all the OCing products is coming out near the 2K mark which means I won't be able to get myself a nice lcd screen which I've talked myself into (Dell 2405FPW 24").

I've decided on a AMD x2 4400 chip as i think it's fast enough that it will last me until i can afford to upgrade again. If i were to OC then i was considering spending a lot on good quality parts expecially for the OCing. These are the bits i would spend the extra money on:

* DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR
* 2 x Crucial PC4000 BallistiX Tracer 1024MB
* XFX GeForce 7800GTX Extreme Edition 256MB
* Tagan TG530-U15 530W
* Coolermaster Stacker
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme
* Gigabyte G-Power Pro

Whereas if I weren't going to overclock then I could consider getting cheaper bits not designed for OCing; maybe not get the sound card depending on the MB and not bother getting a cooler.

Here's what i got for a possible OCing system:

* XFX GeForce 7800GTX Extreme Edition 256MB
* AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 2MB, BOXED w/fan
* 2 x Crucial PC4000 BallistiX Tracer 1024MB
* DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR
* 2 x Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM SP2504C
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme
* Tagan TG530-U15 530W
* Razer Copperhead Tempest Blue
* Saitek PZ30AU Eclipse Illuminated
* Belkin Nostromo Speedpad n52
* Gigabyte G-Power Pro
* NEC DVD±RW burner, ND-3540A
* Creative MegaWorks 5.1 550 THX® Speakers
* CoolerMaster Stacker
* Plus some other bits & piece like extra fans and accoustic dampening

Alas no monitor - so would have to settle with my two 17" screens, which kinda negates having a bad *** graphics card a little...

Should i OC and do without my lcd screen, or should i accept that it'll be a damn fast system and go vanilla whilst getting my lcd, and if so whats best to get in pace of the swappable items?

Cheers guys

M

I'd go with the Dell 2405FPW, not overclock for the time being, and enjoy your system. You can even try a bit on stock cooling if you want.

Ditto. Only overclock if you can afford to replace thep arts you're putting at risk should something go wrong in the process.
I wouldn't comprimise on cooling equipment or the power supply though. It's best to get more than you need in those departments because it will just make using your machine a more pleasant experience.

Captain Slug said:
Only overclock if you can afford to replace thep arts you're putting at risk should something go wrong in the process.
I wouldn't comprimise on cooling equipment or the power supply though.
:thup: This will save you a lot of :bang head

Yep, OCing will only give noticeable performance in benchmarks usually. But in terms of actual performance, maybe a second or two in loading times and probably a few fps in gaming, sometimes not even.

tae_moh said:
:thup: This will save you a lot of :bang head

can you recommend a good psu / cooler? if i'm not going sli do i really need a top notch psu like the Tagan TG530-U15 530W or the Enermax Noisetaker 600W? how much wattage do you think i need? can you recommend a quiet one? & same for psu cooler / video.

darksparkz said:
Yep, OCing will only give noticeable performance in benchmarks usually. But in terms of actual performance, maybe a second or two in loading times and probably a few fps in gaming, sometimes not even.

fair. so i should maybe just go stock, i wouldn't be able to replace bits on my system if they did burn out..so thats kinda worrying me. I'm much more after a fast stable system than being able to get good benchmarks.

Which bits do you think i should comprimise on?

thanks guys

darksparkz said:

Having a 600MHz OC , I have a noticable difference. I always get the feel for a machine before I overclock.

On the topic at hand. I always see how my machine feels at stock before I overclock. I never "out of the box" get past stock, since I want to see how well it compares when I do go above stock specs. I then have more information on the hardware and the potential limits.

I like to explore the parts I buy and take it slow. I would say check your machine out first and see if your happy with what it gives you. If you want more take it to that level, you will know if it is a good choice. Since you will know the hardware better and what it can possibly give you. It took 6 months to hit a 500MHz+ overclock in my rig. I added a little bit as I had the need for speed. I also clock parts higher as I have the extra to possibly replace them if something goes wrong.

Cut places by dropping to to a non-SLI DFI board, since it can be easily modded to SLI.

Also maybe change the PSU, haven't heard much of that brand, but something like OCZ or Fortons are great.

I personally think most OCs, around 400-500mhz are not even noticeable most likely. In real life performance, it's probably all mental, I can probably OC a computer for someone and he/she wouldn't know a performance difference in things like loading Windows or some other Microsoft Offfice program. It may give like 0.5-1s of a difference, but some say it's worth it, some say not.

But, regardless of that, I'd still OC, lol. Even if it's a 1s of a difference, that's still an improvement. Also you'd get bragging rights, and things like starting your computer knowning it's running 30% faster then it came with.

When you overclock you get boosts in compressing/decompressing files. Encoding, and other related things. There is so many real world boosts, not everyone overclocks for benches or games. My computer runs faster, it is not just mental, the CPU runs alot faster. I can't imagine going to a 1000Mhz CPU and saying the 1.8 stock this CPU is, is no faster. The faster the CPU that faster everything is. Of course it is CPU dendant items, not RAM dependant items. That is why I overclock my RAM also. If I need a game to go faster I get on my GPU.

I am not much of a bencher or gamer. I do however imbibe everyso often. I overclock and that is why I hangout @ OCforums. :D

Meh, someone wanted to do a real life comparison between OCing it not OCing. Because all reviews only show gaming fps improvements and certain divx and video/sound encoding things. You know, compression/decompression times for certain things.

But how about the average user? Someone who only plays a game or two, someone who does homework using Powerpoint or Word, those who usually browse websites. Which is usually the people between 15-20 though, lol. I duno, I wish someone does a review on real life performance though, load up times and installation times for programs and etc.

darksparkz said:
Meh, someone wanted to do a real life comparison between OCing it not OCing. Because all reviews only show gaming fps improvements and certain divx and video/sound encoding things. You know, compression/decompression times for certain things.

But how about the average user? Someone who only plays a game or two, someone who does homework using Powerpoint or Word, those who usually browse websites. Which is usually the people between 15-20 though, lol. I duno, I wish someone does a review on real life performance though, load up times and installation times for programs and etc.

To me the average user is over 30. I gave up on reviews a long time ago. I read them for the pictures. I have seen freinds get boosts n the cam time on IM and other tid bits. It depends on how the user intends to use the machine. I don't do the DivX, I make custom discs like most of what the average user around my group does.

For the apps you mention a hearty 1700+ would handle them quite nicley and with left over or a newer Sempron.

In the benchmark section there is a plethora of other then gaming benches. It shows a variety of system tests. One that I seen I liked was the render test. That gave some indication of real world use. Most folks look at pictures or use then. Not as large as that one though, but I do. I do alot of PS and other imaging programs, so OC is for me. Encoding is helped also. Since I make custom discs for the family back home. I know my rig at stock is like 5 seconds slower on boot. Stuff is smoother when I overclock. My PC ignorant wife even can tell when I bump it up. We have used this machine long enough were she can tell if there is an issue or I messed with the clocks though, so it is an unfair adavantage. When I broke the 400MHz barrier, she knew it right off. TO mess with her head I took it bakc to stock. I almost got a new CPU out of it, she noticed. That is why Idon't start overclocking right away, I like to get the feel of my parts first. If I am going to be using it for the year, I got plenty of time to fiddle with it. Evenyone overclocks for different reasons and goes to the level they are willing to risk.

If you go to an overclocking site asking if you should overclock. I would assume you made your mind up wanting to do it. You just want the final oomph to kick it off. :D

Another 2 center :)

edit: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

MonkeyPipeBomb said:
can you recommend a good psu / cooler? if i'm not going sli do i really need a top notch psu like the Tagan TG530-U15 530W or the Enermax Noisetaker 600W? how much wattage do you think i need? can you recommend a quiet one? & same for psu cooler / video.
<snippety snap>

I love my Tagan 480W-u01 (single rail), its quiet and it doesn't stress that much, in a 4Ghz range with 8 HDD's, 1 dvd, 2 uvlights and 6 fans.
But if you want something more powerful and still be quiet, i think you should turn your eyes towards the Seasonic s-12 600W.
(its available at overclock.co.uk)

If you want a mobo that doesn't upset you to much in a few troubles, i suggest the Abit AN8-sli or the AN8-V (non-sli)
And yes, you should overclock if you can afford the bits and pieces. :D
//Christian

Back